Help! Myrtle Beach, Ocean City or Outer Banks?

Looking to branch out from Jersey Shore. We are booking around June 29- July 6th and have children ranging from 1-8 so family friendly is a plus. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a nice, clean, warm beach with decent ocean temperatures that soon in the season.

Any recommendations and/or locations are appreciated!

Nicholas Nicholas
Mar '13

Big difference I think. O.C. is mid-range, middle class, and a lot of family but 1-8 may be a bit young for the town itself. Pretty built up but close to NJ. Can do Rehobeth or Bethany for rental houses or condo's to get a little distance from the OC congestion.

If parents only or little-little kids, I like Cape May.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Mar '13

My sister in law is a travel agent and this is what she told us last year when I questioned her about our vaca... Ocean city md is more of a younger hang out crowd, parties and packed beaches. Outer banks is beautiful but more of the older crowd and golfers and such. Myrtle beach is great for families who love to be constantly doing things. We ended up going to Tampa/Clearwater. That is by far my fav place to bring the kids.

Been to OC, MD for 40+ years (went as a kid) and took mine when they were younger.
There is a combo of all types there. It depends on where you stay. Plenty of stuff to do for your kids age group. Beaches do get very crowded though.
Outerbanks is nice too, but for me, too long a drive. We did it one time and drove straight thru. UGH! Then we did the drive, but took 2 days. That was better. Plenty to do there also. Kitty Hawk for one and the dunes are great. Better decide soon and book, before its too late. We always book OC, MD in January, for July vaca. ENJOY wherever you decide to go.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Mar '13

I've never been to Myrtle Beach or Ocean City but have been to OBX many many times. It is not just for golfers (actually I've never seen the golf courses but I know they're there somewhere). We've stayed in Corolla & it is sooooo family friendly. There's great restaurants, shopping, typical beach activies, fishing, bike rentals, etc. I would def get a place w/ a pool....there are tons of them so finding a pool will not be hard. Also, we've always searched & booked online without one single problem. twiddy.com, brindleybeach.com, are famous but there are several realty companies that have just as great service. The grocery stores are very busy on weekends because that's when the turn-over is. Great place for kids & adults...you will LOVE it!

ms_warren_county ms_warren_county
Mar '13

Yes, Corolla is the best place to go on OBX, if you want family friendly.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Mar '13

Try a forum search. There are threads on these places constantly.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '13

We are doing OCMD this year instead of the Jersey Shore., its much cheaper. We stay on the quieter side of OC, 120th street. There are some really nice quiet condo areas, that are on the beach or walking distance to the beaches. Its a different atmosphere than the Jersey Shore, but we like it there. Beaches are clean, water is warm, where we stay the beach is not crowded. Boardwalk is just ok, but there is plenty to do there for younger kids, tons of amusement areas (Jolly Rogers), boat tours, shops and miniature golf galore. A short ride to Assateague Island which is a great trip for kids too.

towny towny
Mar '13

We love Myrtle Beach. We have gone four or five times. Tons if stuff to do and you can not beat the beach. The ocean has been great every year we have gone with bath like water temps and no jelli fish.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Mar '13

It's funny because I go golfing in Myrtle Beach every year and have never golfed in OBX.

I don't even know if you can still get a place in OBX. We used to rent our house every year in November for the following August. I'm sure you can find "something" but it's probably slim pickings...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '13

Outer Banks! Greatest relaxing vacation!

You should look into Kiawah Island in South Carolina. It's about 120 miles south of Myrtle Beach. Our family absolutely loves it there. We've been going there for twenty years+. The ocean water is always so warm and the beach is not crowded. There are long bike trails, several golf courses and activities for kids. We usually take day trips to nearby Charleston and Savannah, Georgia. There are various types of places (i.e. condos, homes, villas, etc.) that you can stay in. The Sanctuary is a beautiful hotel on the island, but is rather pricey. You can check out available places to stay on "Cyberrentals" on the internet. We've used Beachwalker rentals in the past also. I hope you are able to visit and see what a wonderful place it is. Enjoy your vacation!

I vacationed in Myrtle Beach last summer. I do have to say it was a beautiful beach and water. No shells, no seaweed, no creepy ocean things hitting your leg. Warm water. I stayed just south of the state park, so very quiet there. The hotel had a dj and kid games at the pool for a couple of hours in the afternoon. For young kids, there are tons of condo rentals with fun pools and lazy rivers. Great mini golf choices. The Pirate dinner is fun for all ages.

I would think the water temperature would be a bit chilly yet. Head for Myrtle Beach. You'll have warm water and lots to do.

Danny Danny
Mar '13

Thanks! Any good recommendations for places to stay in Myrtle Beach?

Nicholas Nicholas
Mar '13

Look up Garden City, SC. We used to stay at the Surf Master and always had a great time!

I own property in Myrtle Beach - it is a fantastic place for the kids - clean beaches, a bunch of miniature golf places to enjoy, and there's Boardwalk at the Beach AND a brand new boardwalk. The Boardwalk at the Beach has a nice sized lake w/ all shops and restaurants and Ripley's located completely around the lake, it's nice there for the kids, and has small rides. We love it down there. If you're up for a decent day trip, head to Charleston for the day (leave early, it's about a 2 hour drive), and go to Fort Sumter for the day - and Charleston is a very pretty, historic area if you're into that as well. Have fun!!

TerryLynn TerryLynn
Mar '13

im surprised nobody has said emerald isle, NC. beautiful beaches and an overall fun time. mid to upscale as well. great for families and everyone. also very bike friendly!

JFdaGR8
Mar '13

TerryLynn, That's Broadway at the Beach, We have a place right around the corner from there. I suggest MB too. Great for kids of all ages!

Ravi11 Ravi11
Apr '13

Hey, Ravi, After I typed it I realized I wrote the wrong name. It IS Broadway at the Beach. I love that place!!

TerryLynn TerryLynn
Apr '13

OC is great for kids. Great restaurants and lots of attractions.

Dolce_Vita Dolce_Vita
Apr '13

My parents owned a condo in Myrtle Beach from the time I was in my late teens until my late thirties, and we would spend the summers there. I fell in love for the first time there, so I have very fond memories of MB. They sold it a few years ago, when they decided they weren't going to retire there. We went back last year to vist some friends that still own property in the same complex that my parents were in and they were telling us how they can't wait to sell, lots of homeless, riff raff and an increasing gang presence in Myrtle Beach. Some of the friends are retired Law Enforcement, so perhaps they are a little more sensitive to these changes but I will say that during the visit I noticed the element has changed quiet a bit in the last several years.

On the plus side... During our visit we stayed in North Myrtle Beach at the Marriott at Grand Dunes which was absolutely gorgeous. Beach fantastic, weather beautiful, that is the Myrtle Beach of my youth

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '13

Wish i had your problems.

fitter
Apr '13

We went to emerald isle, NC last year and it was ok but it wasn't as nice as OBX. I have been doing a lot of work in the past 1.5 years in bethany beach/millvile and that is a nice area.

JD 4020 JD 4020
Apr '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.