Nascar Memoribillia-Where to authenticate/sell?

I have recently aquired a nice peice of nascar memorabillia, but have had trouble finding any local stores online to bring it in to for evaluation/possible sale? Does anyone have any experience with local (greater nj area) dealers/buyers?

agf25 agf25
Aug '13

What kind of memoribilia do you have?

Nascar3 Nascar3
Aug '13

I haven't been to any of these places, but this web site has a list in NJ:

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/nascar-collectibles/New-Jersey.htm

More locally, I thought the collectible place on Main St might have had some Nascar in addition to a lot of coins. All In One in Randolph does sports autographs and even though it might not be quite their thing, they might know who to go to. http://allinonecollectibles.com/

I would also suggest one of the first steps in authentication is where you got it from to begin with. What do they offer for proof? And if not, why not???

I have a Simpson replica helmet from the 2012 Las Vegas Chase Cup race, signed by all 12 drivers. I am in the process of trying to get paperwork from the agency my job got it from. I had purchased it in a charity auction, so it is definitely legit, we sponsor a race team (mars) but in case they didn't come through with the paperwork i was trying to find a backup for trying to gain authenticity papers/and find a possible outlet to sell it to.

Thanks for the info GC!!

agf25 agf25
Aug '13

how much do you want for it agf25?

mety
Aug '13

Here is one on eBay: Not exactly the same but similar I guess.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-SIZE-NASCAR-AUTOGRAPHED-HELMET-42-AUTOGRAPHS-New-Lower-Price-/290964955561?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item43bedce1a9#ht_991wt_917

Wow! This one has better autographs for $2500.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autographed-Nascar-Simpson-Racing-Helmet-/271266442784?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item3f28bd6e20#ht_1337wt_917

Both have 0 bids. You can ask for whatever you like. Don't mean you're going to get it.

agf25, there are also online authentication services. Would cost you their fee and shipping, so weigh that against what it's worth.

I have a DiMaggio signed ball that I can't find the CofA for. Really ticking me off. Going to have to get it certified at some point and will send it out to one of the services.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '13

If you review the ebay listings you'll see one of the reasons they are asking really high prices is they have pictures of each person as they are signing the item. In today's sports collectibles it's one of the best pieces of authentication because even the professionals are getting fooled by machine made copies of real signatures put on new items.

One of those other helmets you'll also see has the original COA with it, which should have come in the box in the first place. If that was lost, it may be a reason why it was put in the auction - because it lost a lot of value. But certainly try to get a COA from where ever it came from to begin with. As a backup, you'll also see on the left hand side of those ebay listings a section where it says "type of signature authentication". The names there are the professional services. That's what you would need for an item like that. Something local would not mean much.

An item like that would be best sold either on ebay or at a specialty sports collectible auction.

Don't think it would be worth that much since Nascar drivers sign autographs for free & often. So their autographs aren't worth that much - Earnhardt Jr, Johnson & Gordon stuff goes for around $50 and it drops off from there - probably half the drivers on the helmet are worth $0.

You put all "12 drivers" think you meant 42 drivers since most races have around 40 cars in them.

Ru--
the 12 drivers are the ones that made the Chase last year. It's the top 12 drivers in points for the Chase runnings. And there's 43 cars on the track each race.

revvedup
Aug '13

Thanks for all advise HKLifer's!

I found some of those same ebay auctions (without buyers) and it makes it hard to judge whether a collector prefers their driver only with its race teams graphics or a piece like this with the all stars for the years.

Mety-I was looking for 750, which leaves room for everyone involved to get value.

I guess i will have to continue to pursue more paperwork from my job first!

agf25 agf25
Sep '13

There is a pretty famous place in Parsippany that will do it, its called JSA the guys name is James Spense. If you google it you will see it. They will charge you money to do this, not sure how much cause you have 12 signatures, but they did a mantle ball for me for 75 bucks

nygiantsfan nygiantsfan
Sep '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.