Candles in the Window

I love the look of the candles in the windows that many houses in town have and am interested in doing it in my house. I see there are battery operated ones, electric ones, even ones with a remote control to turn them on. If anyone that reads here has them in their window, please share what you use. I don't want to go to Michael's, buy them , only to find out there were better ones I should have bought. I thought I read about ones with a sensor, but I could have imagined that.
Thanks

Bessie Bessie
Dec '13

My wifey has them in every window,they have a sensor and they're electric.Its pretty straight forward,plug them in it gets dark they come on,in the morning they go off.Wal-Mart has them and ours have fuses,sometimes you gotta replace a fuse.

they look awesome - try buddys small lots first..

skippy skippy
Dec '13

We have had several....

incandescent ones, that require a million extension cords. They LOOK the best, but too much of a PITA.

LED ones, but the light was too "white", didn't look natural at all. Batteries.

LED ones- just bought from Plow & Hearth- with more yellow "lenses"... while they don't look like real incandescent lights or actual candles, they are the best of the bunch so far. Batteries.

ALSO- some have on/off switches, so you're doing that every day. Some have "light sensors" that are supposed to turn themselves on at dusk and off at dawn... we found these work marginally... walk into a bedroom and turn the light on, and the candle thinks it's daylight and turns off. The ones we have now are on 8 hrs on/16 hrs off timers... built into the candles... so the 1st day I put them up, I turned them all on at 5pm... they turn themselves off at 1am.... then turn themselves back on at 5pm again... I have found this to be the best "solution/compromise".

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Dec '13

Electric with regular bulbs, strung together with two extension cords. And then one timer/daylight sensor switch. If you get regular bulbs instead of LED, get at least one pack of replacement bulbs.

I use battery operated candles. They are "dusk to dawn" and turn off when the sun comes up. I wish I gad the ones with a timer.

Try QVC..that is where mine are from and I have had them for about 7 years with no problems.

happycamper happycamper
Dec '13

I have the plug in ones that turn on when it's dark-I got them at Michael's

Nosila Nosila
Dec '13

I have Bethlehem Lights from QVC and they are on sensor or on/off - you pick. If you have cats and they like to sit on window sills....problem with candles and cats. QVC are very good quality and they'll last!

3cats 3cats
Dec '13

So now after thinking about this, not sure I can do it since my 2 front room window are very long and have no window sills. If I put it to the bottom of the window, you wouldn't be able to see it. Any thoughts on a work around?

Bessie Bessie
Dec '13

This is why I am rebuilding our house with an outlet centered under every window so I can plug in. Incandescent lights are the best, the LEDs all look sort of "fake". We'll be needing 13 candles so that would be a lot of batteries!

Also, the trouble with the sensor models is that they stay on all night wasting batteries or electricity. With the timer models, or plugged into a separate timer, you can have them go off at midnight, say.

eperot eperot
Dec '13

We have a few of them on suction cups,put the candle through the slot and suction it to the window.Try hometown hardware I'm almost positive the wifey got all her stuff from their.

eperot-

excellent idea, I have thought the same thing many times (if I were to build or rebuild a home)... an outlet under or right next to every window.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Dec '13

Problem solved..can put them on top of the bottom part of the window, I think that will work just fine. Thanks for all your input, at least I know what I'm looking for now and what my options are.

Bessie Bessie
Dec '13

Have electric ones. Very pretty.

botheredbyuu
Dec '13

I have battery powered LED with a yellowish lens by Bethlehem Lights. Got them from QVC. They are very bright and the color is nice, not perfect, but nice. We string icicle mini-lights for the holidays and they look pretty good together. The candles have a dawn to dusk sensor and a 6 hour timer. We have them set to timer so they go on every day roughly at 5:30 and off at 11:30. We take down the icicle lights after the holidays but I leave the candles up until they run out of battery. (I figure candles can be an all winter thing. I've seen people with them all year even.) I have gotten them to almost Easter on a set of batteries. They were not cheap but they were worth it.

Aquarius Aquarius
Dec '13

Hey, I had the exact same issue and ended up going with standard electric candles that normally use an incandescent bulb, but I got an LED "filament" bulb that is REALLY convincing. It's more golden in color than a household LED and is clear glass, fits right into incandescent window candles. I use them on a timer that tracks the sunset, lol.

Anyway these are VERY bright, so best for holiday displays or a candle to brighten up your neighborhood, or if you want to use them in nightlights for added brightness. They barely get warm.

Here's the link. Yeah they aren't cheap, but I only have 2 candles I use year round so why not :) http://amzn.to/1CKvZuD

I got mine at Big Lots in a box of six. They run on batteries and have a 6 hour timer on them. Work really good if you don't have big window sills.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.