Macy's vs Ashley's--Better quality?

we are looking for a bed (we already have mattress), anyone have any thoughts on which store might carry the better quality furniture? I am just asking about these two stores in particular...thanks!

lovebeingamommy lovebeingamommy
Jan '14

better business bureau, nj will show you complaints and resolution if you want to look

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

Ashley's is pretty much the lowest of the low quality as far as I've heard.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

I've heard Ashley's is not great quality, but don't know first hand. I think Macy's is decent, but it's been a long time since I've looked at their furniture.

I know you asked just about those two, but just to add Raymour & Flanagan seems to have a range of quality depending on how much you want to spend. They have a store in Phillipsburg.

Romeo Romeo
Jan '14

if anyone is considering upholstered furniture from Macys let me know - I have a story for you that may make you think twice...

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

Bought a bed for our daughter from Ashley because we figured she wouldn't have it forever. Our bedroom set is a Kincaid because it is all solid wood. We bought it through Staiano's in Califon. If I was looking for something to last a long time, I wouldn't go with Macys or Ashley.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Jan '14

I have bought several things at Ashely's over the past three years. Overall, I am satisfied with the quality considering the price.

The bedroom set is pretty solid.

I could have spent much more and not gotten much better quality.

It is fine.

Coralie Coralie
Jan '14

Wherever you decide to purchase, consider the extended warranty. We always were hesitant, but we did take it with our bed purchase from Ashley. When we had trouble they did repair it. Same thing with our sofa and table from Raymour...furniture quality may not always be what it used to be, so it's nice to be protected.

We got a dining room table at Ashley and I will never buy again from them them. I think a cotton ball would scratch the table.

Nosila Nosila
Jan '14

thanks everyone! Appreciate all the feedback!

lovebeingamommy lovebeingamommy
Jan '14

You can go to both at the Ledgewood mall. It's a sad, sad mall, but both are easily accessible so you can check out both.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Jan '14

I got a bedroom set from Macy's years ago. It's ok. It's a Broyhill set. It's held up pretty well. One mark on it from a glass. We also have a leather ottoman from them that's pretty nice.

5catmom,

We're also considering getting an upholstered storage bench for the foot of our bed. What's your story?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

Well - a friend got a sectional at macys quite a number of months ago.....the cushions have buttons on one side, plain on the other and they are meant to be used either way. You would think that would be easy. But it isn't . The two end cushions (back cushions - not seats) have been covered backwards. So all but two have buttons showing. (also it came long after the promised date).....Macys ordered another - set to deliver - called that it was damaged and they would have to order again....Last week
another was delivered but we told the guys to check the cushions before bringing the whole thing in ----Guess what ----still wrong. Clearly there is a manufacturing problem. They know it. They don't fix it. So friend will try to take delivery again - and if it's another strike out will try to get partial reimbursement from Macy's as compensation for the unpleasant error. Also if you look for reviews you will find a significant number online. I don't know who is worth ordering from anymore. My only advice would be - get something in stock that you can examine in the store and if it's ok, bring it home yourself.

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

Yikes. I wouldn't condemn all of Macy's for an error that sounds like it isn't entirely their fault. Still stinks nonetheless. We also got our mattresses from Macy's and couldn't be happier.

One store that we shop all the time and have been satisfied with is Arhaus. They're not cheap, but their stuff is well made and looks great. Most of our furniture is from there.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

the other thing about macys is that they promise delivery dates ---and keep pushing them farther and farther away ---
In the past, I've successfully bought beautiful wood furniture from Crate and Barrel
sofas from Jensen and Lewis. The sofas would be great if the cats hadn't decided to work on the arms a bit - ugh - looking for flatweave rugs - cats don't seem to scratch the one I have - thoughts?

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

We're not cat people at all, so can't help you. Moving into a house where cats were left to do as they please cemented it for us. It was disgusting.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

Sorry to hear, Meister...my house has no smell and wood floors don't get scratched by the brats....rugs...another story

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

It was more the carpet and window sills. All scratched up. Wasn't saying you were a poor owner or anything. Just not a fan of felines.

One thing about though, would you really know if your house smelled unless a close friend or family member told you? You get immune to it. I've always had dogs and I didn't notice a smell, but the wife surely let me know about it. This despite having a cleaning service and regularly vacuuming and shampooing the carpet on top of that. There's always some odor with pets. You can be the best, most clean owner in the world, but things happen.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

Well, I'm confused about the quality of furniture. I found two dining tables very similar in look and the wood quality, and chairs. However at Ashley's I was quoted $1139 for table & 8 chairs, the Hayley design, while at Macy's I was quoted $1799 for the Lux, also with 8 chairs. The two table look very similar, but now I'm conflicted about quality. Will the $660 difference at Macys guarantee me a better table. Can somebody reply, please?

Silvia Salcido Silvia Salcido
Jun '14

@ Silvia you really need to go by:

1) What kind of wood it is, the better quality wood, the more durable it usually is, no guarantees, but its a pretty good rule to stand by.

2) the basic craftsmanship of it, both places can have thrown together tables that will collapse under the weight of thanksgiving dinner. Make sure it's well put together. Maybe take someone with you that's somewhat knowledgeable about it. Ask the salesmen and look at the brochures.

I did look them up, the Macy's set is Mahogany Veneers over Poplar Wood, Poplar is pretty durable, nothing crazy, but decent wood. Ashley's doesn't list the kind of wood its made of, which makes me think it's not good quality stuff, but ask them and make sure you SEE something in writing that says what it is. Make sure it's not veneers over like pine, which is what Ikea furniture is made of. If its pine, you're better off spending half of that at Ikea at least you're getting what you pay for it.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Jun '14

I've still got a dining room table and chairs from Springdale Farmers Market - Yes THAT long gone Springdale Farmers Market off 206 still in great shape and going strong .I also know people who have bought decent furniture from Unclaimed Freight in Bethlehem . They are not quite the cheap stuff they were in the 80s since everything else is made in China now . The Bob-O-Pedic commercials make me laugh - who makes it , oh Bob-o-pedic makes it LOL ! You might also visit the Flemington Department Store for decent furniture .I believe I got my innerspring bed from Sleepys and now have my eye on a Stratolounger (The Big One) from Big Lots to replace an aging shot Lazy Boy recliner bought from Lipkins in Easton many years ago . I'm fighting the urge to buy this chair , but it's the most comfortable chair (supposedly USA made) I ever sat in - AT BIG LOTS !

http://www.biglots.com/p/c/recliners-chairs-ottomans/big-one-nimbus-umber-recliner

http://www.flemingtondepartmentstore.com/

Zombo Zombo
Jun '14

I think Ashley's is typically veneer over particle board...

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jun '14

Has anyone ever heard of a furniture company called Burlington House Furniture (Raleigh Road Division) from NC?? It's my parents bedroom set from the early 1970's. Just wondering how much a headboard, two end tables, dresser and armoire might be worth??

I wouldn't buy anything from Ashley if you want it to last more than a few years.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '14

you can find more at the Better Business Burea, NJ ----complaints - complaint resolution etc-
A friend has been dealing with Macy's for on the road to a year - got sectional from them - it looks okay except that two cushion covers were made backwards. There are 2 -4 buttons on one side of each pillow and none on the other - so it's meant to be used either way ----Except that the two end back cushions were manufactured incorrectly and can't be placed to match the rest. Macy's has delivered at least 3 replacements - all refused because of the same problem. Now someone in corporate is trying to take care of it - but there was yet another call to deliver a replacement - stopped it because the problem hadn't been solved. I think I'd stay away from both stores.

5catmom 5catmom
Jun '14

"you get what you pay for"

need a drink
Jun '14

Ashley's furniture is garbage. It's cheaply made crap.

Heidi Heidi
Jun '14

I have bought from both stores and would stay away from both! Ashlleys is particle board covered with veneer. Nothing lasted more then 3 years. Macys is overpriced. I bought a Broyhill couch and the wear on the material lasted 4 years and the wood broke underneath where the support is. Hubby was able to fix it. So far the pieces I have that have lasted beyond 50 years is my antique bedroom set, and I diningroom set from a store that use to be from town. Years ago there was a furniture store where Hallmark store n\use to be near Shoprite. I got a bedroom set solid pine. That sucker still looks like new and passed it on to my kids. As I always say they don't make it like they use to.

Christine Christine
Jun '14

Vic - There are references to "Burlington House Furniture" on the web. It was very active in the 70's so it's not even considered "vintage" in age. A quick check of the address listed on the web says there is still a huge furniture factory now owned by Stanley Furniture ( http://www.stanleyfurniture.com). Probably got bought out.

As for value, even good furniture that it was supposed to be fairly well made is worth a fraction of what was paid for. Probably only a couple hundred dollars. The difference at least is something of solid wood will actually sell. Anything cheap you literally can't give away. I tried giving away a kids bed and no one would take it. Beds are too large, they don't want to be involved in used mattresses any more because of all the issues, and some places like Salvation Army are so overwhelmed they won't take any furniture at all any more.

Christine, I LOVED that store. I bought many pieces there that are still gorgeous 30 years later. Was it Cross Country Furniture? They carried Henredon and other quality furniture. Reallymiss that store!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jun '14

FYI - going on 5 years with the following Ashley Furniture items...

-Bed
-Dresser
-Twin Bed
-Dining Room Table w/8 Chairs
-Couch
-Loveseat
-Entertainment/TV stand

No problems whatsoever.

btownguy btownguy
Jun '14

Thanks GC. Yeah I sensed that as well while researching Burlington House Furniture last night....the 1970's definitely seemed like their "heyday".

We currently have an Ashley bedroom set and it's holding up so far but it's only a year old. Not very happy with our Ashley sectional couch purchased in 2010. Their durablend leather material is junk and eventually peels after two years in our case.

http://www.amazon.com/Durablend-Cafe-Double-Reclining-Loveseat/product-reviews/B002YRCR80

Lady Jane I honestly do not remember. We got our first bedroom set like I said there.when we were engaged, 31 years ago. It is Bennington Pine. Still looks like it did off the floor. I also have a diningroom set from there never had to fix a chair. BUT the one from Ashley had the chairs fixed every year. I am sorry I gave my kids the sets. My taste has changed so I wanted something else.

Christine Christine
Jun '14

I really think it's the luck of the draw. I know people who spent a great deal of money on furniture, assuming they were buying quality and found it didn't last. My son bought his first couch and love seat from Ashley's 14 years ago when he was single. The price was right and he lived alone. Since then he has married and had 3 children. The set is now in his family room and is used (and abused) daily and is still structurally sound. There are some stains on the fabric from the kids' spills, but it is still solid furniture. Paying a higher price does not always guarantee longer life or better quality.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Apr '17

It depends......Sometimes I buy stuff to last forever, or sofa's that I like to call "cat targets." Other times, knowing it will face spills n chills n kitties, n kids, I go the cheaper route. Duckloe's in Portland is one of the finest woodworkers in the area featuring Stickley hardwoods. They actually produce some of the Stickley pieces so of the finest pieces of furniture ever made. The showroom does have some sofas, but all high end stuff.

If you really get into Stickley, I can tell you a few tricks to get it for less.

However, it depends.... For example, if you have a larger dining room, you're probably better off at the yard, estate, auction sale level since the larger dining room tables are a dime a dozen. My seats-ten-comfortably cost $200 for probably ash, who really knows. Wouldn't fit in a townhouse though. Used chairs are the harder part so I went new, Duckloe's, and I expect a couple of lifetimes from those chairs.

Sofa's: I've gone the Duckloe or equivalent for living room but Macy's or even Trading Post for family room where I know that it will be replaced every so often no matter what I pay for it. It depends and yes, I will say for the family room, Ashleys' etc., a lot of what you get from the "value leaders" depends on luck. Sometimes they go forever, sometimes you're ready for the new one in 6 months.

Now if it's other hardwood pieces, you're looking for, beyond Duckloe's, I use a shop from WV where this guy came back from WWII, wanted to make good furniture, and set up a great US factory. Isn't' cheap but you certainly get what you pay for and it's probably cheaper than if you found a store for it. Ain't no stinkin veneers on this stuff. Had one issue with a stain match to an earlier piece I bought. No issue: they made shipping it back easy, and they refinished to match their older "match" in a manner where I can not tell work was done. As far as I know, they sent a new piece. Just perfect. Again, these are pieces that last not a lifetime, but last a few lifetimes, works of art that some guy invested his entire life in getting it right. Let me know if you are looking and I will go through the drawers to find the name.....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '17

I really like the quality of the bedroom set I purchased from Poundex Furniture. Feels solid and looks fantastic .
poundex.com
I have F9319Q in the bedroom collection. For me it is the perfect manly look, a bit rustic a bit modern.
I got bed, dresser, chest and night stand from Sweet Dreamzzz in Budd Lake and he beat the online price by about $600.

Re: Macy's vs Ashley's--Better quality?

My bad , that is not the set I got
http://www.stealasofa.com/poundex-f4768.html

this is the set, pic is not from my home but mine is available upon request and some tidying up

My suggestion would be to spend a little more and go for Ethan Allen. It's an investment, but in my opinion, it's worth it.

http://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/shop-furniture-bedroom-beds

I've had my bed 16+ years (The Montego Poster Bed) and it's still beautiful.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.