Where to buy pies for Thanksgiving?

Hi All!

Looking for suggestions on where to buy Thanksgiving pie. Looking for the best pumpkin pie and apple pie that money can buy. Willing to travel too. Suggest away! :)

LadySkiDog LadySkiDog
Nov '16

Donaldson's Farm, Allen Road, Hackettstown

Mackey`s farm in White Township,NJ

Syndersville Diner in PA.

Second for Mackeys, fresh made pies and other baked goods to die for. They strongly recommend that you call your order in ahead

RacerMom
Nov '16

Donaldson's does not make their pies - they bring them in.

Mackeys Orchard has an incredible bakery filled with mouth-watering things. They make everything from scratch. Check out their website for a complete listing of all the things they have in their bakery.

happiest girl
Nov '16

Definitely Mackeys ...

Alstede farms in chester!

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
Nov '16

I got a special request - my daughter was going to her friends party and stopped at farmers market outside of Central Park. She bought an apple-cranberry crumble pie made by Just Made Bakery and Tree-Licious Orchards and said it was SUPER yummy and she is very critical of her food. So now I have to buy it.

If you are thinking Snydersville Diner you had better call ahead. Your not going to just go in there and say give me a pie. Don't know of any that they would come in second to.

The Man The Man
Nov '16

If you are a member of Sam's Club or BJs...their pies are fantastic. Huge and so delicious. Last year took a couple upstate with us and they were a big hit..(and I did not have to bake)..

joyful joyful
Nov '16

Sun High Orchard on Camfield Ave in Randolph

jpb3302 jpb3302
Nov '16

The Man - Thanks. You have a good point. I'm so used to being close by but from here it's enough of a drive you don't want to be empty handed. They do have a few pies set aside to sell whole, but you might not get the particular one you wanted if you're not early. And that's on a regular day. During Thanksgiving you definitely better order ahead with your name on them for pick up.

Mackey's!!!!! Hands down

laughalittlemore laughalittlemore
Nov '16

Donaldson's

Best thread I have seen, I can cook but, I cannot(or will not) bake!!

Thanks

jmo517 jmo517
Nov '16

If your in the Hackettstown area, why not just go to Harpers Bakery, Its a true bakery where all pies are made fresh from scratch, Not from a freezer to the oven and to your table, im sure they can fill your order and you will be happy

Sally Jo
Nov '16

Thank you SO much for all your suggestions. I will let you know where I get them from. Honestly have never been to any of the places mentioned outside of Donaldson's and Alstede's. Excited about the possibilities. Wanted to make sure I had something in place for Thanksgiving. Time is going too fast, and it will be here before we know it. Thanks again! :)

LadySkiDog LadySkiDog
Nov '16

Just Made Bakery is in Mansfield.

Donaldson's pies are not homemade. They are made in a factory and if you look at the ingredients they have high fructose corn syrup (not sugar, like a homemade pie would have), hydrogenated palm oil (not regular oil or butter like a regular bakery would use), and canned fruit in their fruit pies. For that, you can buy a Mrs. Smith's at Shoprite for $3.00. It's hard to find a place that actually makes the fillings anymore.

I'm going to check out Mackeys and see if theirs are natural and really "homemade."

Heidi Heidi
Nov '16

Hacklebarney Cider Mill in Chester.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Nov '16

Mackey's really are homemade. I encourage you to try them, you won't be disappointed!

I second hacklebarney cider mill. Or shop rite, I've been eating pumpkin pie all month from there. Delicious and spicy the way I like it. And they have these cute small ones.

Please keep in mind that *most* farms (like Alstede's) buy cheap frozen pies in bulk, brush them with milk, cinnamon, sugar, etc. and stick them in an oven. Same is true of many supermarkets - the baked goods are mass produced, shipped frozen, and "store baked". Feel free to pay $17 for the same pie at a farm that you could buy frozen for $1.99. (full disclosure: I worked at Alstede and watched them do it).

Caveat Emptor Caveat Emptor
Nov '16

Just finished an apple, walnut pie from Macky's. It was outstanding.

Indie Indie
Nov '16

Mulheisen bakery in Washington. Outstanding!

Mike L Mike L
Nov '16

Checked out Mackey's this afternoon to purchase cookies and pastries for after dinner tonight with friends.

Hoping for the best!!! Will go back over the weekend for a pie.

Re: Where to buy pies for Thanksgiving?

Here's Mackey's Apple pie ....it doesn't disappoint!

Looks like a bowling ball! LOL

It looks like a "Dome of Bliss". ;-)

Looks like a mouthfull.

happiest girl
Nov '16

According to the web site it has between 5-6 lbs of apples

Cookies were good. Pastries less so. Will try the pie this weekend.

Hacklebarney Cider Mill, I worked there for years and have personally helped make tons of pies by hand. Definitely call and reserve what pies you want so they make them especially for you though, I wouldn't risk going in the day before hoping to find one.

Hacklebarney posted on their FB last week that they might been done taking orders soon, so call fast if you're interested.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '16

Mackeys hands down. I looooove that place! Apple crumb pie is to die for.

thejackattack thejackattack
Nov '16

If you want to travel, Windy Brow Farm in Fredon has excellent pies. When you go inside, you can look in a window and watch them make the pies.

Momof2/2 Momof2/2
Nov '16

Vanilla Market in Panther Valley Mall makes really great pies. It's probably best to order ahead.

KathyKay KathyKay
Nov '16

Just ate my first slice of a Mackeys fresh apple pie! It was phenomenal
, just like mom used to bake! Can't wait to get my hands on the bowlingball one!!!!

The doughnuts are not bad either, will be making a return trip soon.

Thanks to all who recommended them by posting here.

Hot corner Hot corner
Nov '16

My kitchen

eperot eperot
Nov '16

Just curious..doesn't anyone bake anymore?

Vicinity Vicinity
Nov '16

Vanilla Market - I agree best to order ahead and the pies are made on site!

Mindy
Nov '16

My best investment a few years ago, was an apple corer, peeler, slicer. Quick (as long as you're careful to line up the corer) and delicious pies.

I do! Bake my own pies and make my own crusts, make my own Christmas cookies also. Not sure what I will be able to do this year with this broken elbow but that's what my kids are for to help me! I haven't found a bought pie I like. Although Harpers makes ALL their pies from scratch and the old fashion way.

Christine Christine
Nov '16

There's nothing like a pie made from scratch, right, Christine? Roseline's bakery in Augusta comes close.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '16

Thank you Vicinity!!! My Mom would make Pumpkin Pie with chopped walnuts and whipped cream on top !! Delicious !

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Nov '16

I went to Mackey's Orchard yesterday and bought the small high center crust pie and the apples were dry and tasteless.Maybe just a fluke.

Just go to Harpers on Main St. in Hackettstown, order it and you will be Happy with them.

Sally Jo
Nov '16

Vicinity- MY wife cooks and I bake, but we do not live in a box and like to try other people's cooking and baking.

Joe- sorry you got a bad apple, our pie was delicious.

Hot corner Hot corner
Nov '16

Ashely farms in flanders

Wightman's Farm in Harding has a great blueberry crumb pie as well as others.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Nov '16

Harper's on Main Street in Hackettstown is my vote

James James
Nov '16

Bought an apple pie and a berry pie from Marshall's about two weeks ago..excellent.

positive positive
Nov '16

Hot corner ,maybe just sat too long or a couple days old
We did get there at their closing time.

I'll give Mackey's another try.

Cauliflower and spaghetti squash was good.
Bought a bag of apples and my wife will make a pie for Thanksgiving.

I'm a pie guy. Love my pies and pastries over cakes any day.

Minuteman Diner in Harding can't cook a burger, but in my opinion, best pies within 30 miles. And I've eaten a lot of them! Just placed my order today. Only have another day or so to order, before they reach max capacity. Pick up of pie orders is next Tuesday and Wednesday (your choice but have to let them know).

Mike N. Mike N.
Nov '16

Due to this thread, I went to Mackeys to try their pies.

We bought the pumpkin pie which had absolutely NO flavor. We went around 4:00 o'clock yesterday. I think it one of the last of the pumpkin pies, we were so disappointed.

But, the apple crumb pie was delicious and tasty ~ even for a sister who doesn't eat pies. We'd get that again.

We also tried a mixed bag of the cider donuts and they were dry and tasteless.

We are now resorting to Mrs. Smiths for our pumpkin pie.

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Nov '16

I have heard that Tony's Luncheonette- on the highway just before Mansfield Shop Rite..is taking orders for pies as well. Everything from Tony's is DELICIOUS!!!

joyful joyful
Nov '16

Weis has a good pumpkin pie for $4.99.

pieguy pieguy
Nov '16

All they do is dump a can of Libby's in a frozen pie crust- might as well buy the can and crust and do it at home and enjoy the smells that come with it.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.