Roof Scammers targeting Hackettstown area

Beware!
Last week there were two people going around town knocking on doors offering to clean your gutters for $75. Once up on the roof they (find) issues. They are looking for older roofs. My friend had said ok on getting her gutters cleaned and they found a couple of (soft) boards and tore off the ridge vent and a bunch of shingles to show her. They quickly move it to first a roof was needed, then to the underlying boards were all bad and had to be replaced. Thank god the Town Building Department was on the ball and stopped the job. They had torn off the plywood and replaced it with cheaper OSB decking. They then had hired a roofer who showed up with a truck with NY Plates on it. Because of the quick action of the town only half of the money was paid out and the bad work stopped. The reason for the stoppage was they didn't get a permit for the wood tear off and replacement.
If anyone tries to sell you a new roof, make sure they are
1. Licensed, all contractors must be Licensed by the State.
2.Hire the local people, less chance of getting ripped off.
If you are not sure call your local building Dept and ask!

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
July 22nd

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. There was an email message & I think I also saw it on FB from HPD the other day warning of this, but some people might now have seen that. I would not let anyone who goes door-to-door convince me to let them do anything around my house. I guess it's just the skeptic in me.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
July 23rd

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Roof Scammers targeting Hackettstown area
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.