Cord cutters with Xfinity

Can anyone share their experience with cutting out cable TV and subscribing to HULU + Live or YoutubeTV on Xfinity . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Works great. There is an adaptation period getting used to how things work. If you already have a smart TV and high speed internet you can try it before you cut the cable.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
August 7th

I cancelled my xfinity cable a few years ago and don't miss it at all. There are quite a few free app's you can subscribe to.
Tubi - Freevee - Crackle - Roku Channel - Filmrise - Angel Studios - all free - probably more if you look in the app library. I think there is also a horror app and a classic movies app too.
I do subscribe to the UP Faith and Family Channel ( Love the Series Hudson and Rex) its only $5.99 a month to subscribe

Margaret Margaret
August 7th

I've been using YouTube TV for years, but their price keeps creeping up. It works very well. I love creating a custom guide, so I don't have to scroll through all the stations I have no interest in. I want Red Zone. Last I looked, YT TV was the only choice. If I could switch, I would just because of their price.

4of4 I thought youtube tv is not supported by xfinity. Do you have xfinity?

We did the same as ontheedge years ago and haven’t looked back. We don’t get every single channel as cable but it’s pretty darn close. We have the Hulu app with the Amazon Firestick
And yes, the path for getting to the channel you want requires a few more clicks of the remote but it’s not a big deal.
Try it out for a few weeks and then cut the cord.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
August 8th

We’ve been considering cutting coward as well. But, we’re stuck with Xfinity for cable since there are no other providers where we live. We were in the phone with them several weeks ago for about an hour trying to get them to lower the price. For the first time ever, they wouldn’t budge. Then we tried to get the price for just cable. Believe it or not, the scumbags wouldn’t give us a price! They would only say it would be “around” $100. So, if we go with YouTube TV! we’ll be right back near $170 and probably not getting the same number of channels. It’s unfortunate that this area doesn’t have more options; I guess that’s the trade off for living in the country!

Comcast sucks (sorry, I just had to throw that in there)

FarmerJake FarmerJake
August 8th

I have the basic channel lineup for the past 5 months. it is only a few channels, but I have Max thru the cell phone company (AT&T) and it has been ok. We'll see how it goes once football starts.
The way things are now, you need to subscribe to multiple things and I'm not too fond of it. I prefer my money in my pocket.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
August 8th

FarmerJake, most municipalities have a franchise agreement with a single cable company; it really doesn't have anything to do with living in the country.

Now, more densely developed areas may also have access to Verizon FiOS, which for some reason seems to get an exemption from the franchise rules (perhaps because it's fiber optic and not technically cable).

ianimal ianimal
August 8th

Cut the cord with Comcast and get yourself a ROKU device. One time cost and you can stream several sites at no cost many of them like Tubi providing free movies. Don't wast your money buying Hulu subscriptions or others because you'll end up paying as much for them if not more than you were paying Comcast.

Navy Vet Navy Vet
August 8th

Comcast sucks. But we already have 2 remotes: one for the TV (for streaming services) and one for cable. And my wife already has a problem with that sometimes. If going 100% streaming requires "a few more clicks", it most definitely WILL be a problem for her.

So, we continue to OVERpay for Comcast, and pay for several streaming services as well. It's ridiculous.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
August 8th

The cost of getting wifi from comcast is 93.00 (my son's bill). Add a couple of providers and you are back to the comcast tv cost.

FarmerJake

If you're in Allamuchy, the Mayor made an announcement on the "NextDoor" app stating that "Planet Fiber" out of Newton, whose business dates back to around the beginning days of the actual internet, was given a license to wire up Allamuchy Twp., starting with underserved areas, before the more built up areas, such as Panther Vally.

They offer up to 10GBps internet through fiberoptic cable, depending on level/price selected. You can check availability, or register to request they come to your area. Also check out their history page. 2024 is their 30th year.

https://planet.net/fiberinternet

Phil D. Phil D.
August 8th

Current bill is $290. That's not even with wireless phones. I think it's worth pursuing

Timely article
https://www.wfmz.com/features/what-the-tech/what-the-tech-streaming-devices/article_b4b60cb4-5501-11ef-ae47-33215c47d6a4.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WFMZ

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
August 8th

Jim65
I don’t understand your question.

Xfinity is my Internet only.
YouTube TV is my streaming. I get it via Amazon Firestick, Roku stick, old Apple TV, or an app right on my newer tvs.

I read Sling and Hulu+Live are both options for Red Zone.
I don’t care for Sling’s channel lineups.

Hulu+Live will be just as much as this, so I’m sticking with it.

A really important point: you can pause it. We weren’t watching network TV this spring, so I paused it for 2 months and saved $150.

It's been 2 years since I cut the cord with Comcast. I certainly don't regret doing it, but there is still some downside to YouTube TV (my current provider), and other streaming services.

For instance, YouTube TV raised their prices soon after I subscribed, and there are some technical issues where I have to reload the screen, more often than I'd like. But overall, I am still saving some money, and I am not tethered to YouTube like I was to Comcast. If I want out, I can't leave anytime I want, with no penalty.

Aside from that, it'll take you a minute to adjust to a new service, but that's not a biggie.

I'd drop Comcast and not look back.

only one truth only one truth
August 9th

I've saved well over $100 per month since switching to You Tube TV almost two years ago. Transition was smooth and seamless. Still have Xfinity for Wifi, pay about $130 per month for that.

townfriend townfriend
August 9th

FYI - For NFL Rezone, I signed up with NFL+ directly for RedZone. $14.99 a month. Beats having to pay for Hulu, YouTubeTV, or other live TV streaming services to gain access to it.

NJSkyWatcher NJSkyWatcher
August 9th

The problem with YouTube TV is no regional sports packages; i.e., no MSG, no SNY, no YES network. You can get all these channels by subscribing to Fubo, but then you don't get TNT and TBS and miss a bunch of playoff baseball and hockey games.

ianimal ianimal
August 9th

Phil D - thanks for the info. I do live in Allamuchy and I’m outside of PV. But we’re in a unique situation, because we get our cable through the franchise agreement with Independence (there are no telephone poles or buried cables from the Allamuchy side). It’ll be interesting to see if we’ll be included in the new wiring. Probably not!

Comcast still sucks. Just sayin’

FarmerJake FarmerJake
August 9th

If you have access to a student email address you can get Hulu and Spotify premium for $6 per month for both.

not sack
August 9th

My cable with Exfinity was raised to 193.00. So I got a firestick and only paying 100.00 a month now. It's nice that you choose what you want. And I see all the old shows I haven't seen in a long time. No schedule like Me TV. I watch all the episodes.

Tomdee
August 9th

I cut the cord and went t with Roku + Sling TV about 3 years ago. When we made the switch Sling was about half the price is it now. These streaming companies are catching on and slowing raising their prices. In another 5 or so years it will be the same price as cable.

Consigliere
August 10th

Check to see if you can get T-Mobile Home Internet at your address. We dropped Xfinity about a year ago for TMHI and are saving over $80/month on our internet access.

As far as content is concerned, if you want live TV channels like you get with a normal cable subscription, then you will always be subject to relatively high prices and significant price increases. The internet providers for live TV are ultimately subject to more-or-less the same re-broadcasting costs/fees as the cable providers (which makes sense, as they are providing essentially the same product, just via a different delivery system).

The only way to save big $$$ with streaming is to give up live TV and go with just the "on demand" services like Netflix, Hulu (not Hulu Live), Max, AppleTV+, etc., etc. It takes some getting used to, for sure, but it's worth the effort for a lot of people. And not for others, of course.

Live sports is really the Achilles Heel of cord cutting. If your TV viewing is dramas & comedies, or even reality TV, it's pretty easy to find an affordable combination of streaming services that offer just about anything you might want to see. But if you're into sports, especially major league sports, you have to pay through the nose for streaming options for those.

If you want to see what streaming service will work best for you, go to https://www.suppose.tv/tv

This site will allow you to choose what channels are important to you and show you your options.

ManAboutTown ManAboutTown
4 weeks ago

I'm in the process of cutting out comcast. Went with Roku which is working great. Setting up Ooma for phone service. Will only use comcast for internet. My comcast bill with phone, internet was $209 a month with no premium channels. Once all is set up my monthly bill will be about $60.

ManAboutTown,

Thanks so much for posting that link! It's very helpful and will make my decision so much easier. Thanks again!!

- Rob

Rob Durana Rob Durana
3 weeks ago

How mch is Comcast monthly for internet only?

I rent the router from comcast (I know, I know…) and the internet bill is $115

Consigliere
3 weeks ago

We just got rid of comcast tv. We kept internet through them and went with you tube tv based on channel line up etc. and are saving about $70 or a bit more a month. Comcast bill was too much and we were tired of it. We have more channels that I actually want to watch on you tube tv. Win win!

Htown gal
3 weeks ago

Um, surprised nobody mentioned this. Try IPTV. There are tons of providers (just google it) and they have every single channel Known to man, from every country on Earth, around $15 per Month. No, seriously. When I tried it, I kicked myself for not discovering it sooner. It might or might not be legal, but I honestly couldn't care less. It has every single sport, all the movie channels, everything. I don't follow team sports like NFL (I'm more into Boxing/tennis), but for those that do, they even have all the local ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc., channels from every state in the country, so one can access the out of market games as well, if they wanted. The NY/NJ local channels usually show the Giants/Jets, so if someone wanted to see another team, they can just tune into the channel from that state instead, but again, I don't really follow those sports, myself.

For me as a Fight fan, I get all the PPV Boxing, included. Seemed to good to be true, but it works!

There is a slight Learning curve, but I picked it up pretty quickly. In addition to live TV channels, they also have every movie on demand, like even the newest ones. I was blown away!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Cord cutters with Xfinity
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.