Anyone have stories of Elsie & her Tavern on Waterloo Rd?

Hi all! This is our first official post as the Society, and we're asking for your help.

The Grandnephew of Elsie Claus, of Elsie's Tavern fame on Waterloo Road, contacted us, and his Mother had been reminiscing about the times she, and later, her family, had spent there.

He wanted to know if people could share their memories of Elsie, and of the Tavern, so that he could share them with his 93 year-old Mom, Elsie's Niece.

I know there were a few tidbits here and there on several other threads, but I was hoping that people could share stories on this thread specifically about Elsie, and her establishment. Thanks in advance for sharing your memories with them, and with us all! I will email him a link to this thread so they can read them!

Hackettstown History Hackettstown History
3 weeks ago

My Grandfather used to take me there many years ago. I thought the neatest thing was the Parrot. Can't remember it's name but I did learn a few words from it that got my mouth washed out with soap. Was so sorry to see the place go.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
3 weeks ago

I worked in the bank ORANGE SAVINGS BANK. She would come in her deposits, and she was the nicest person. Friendly and loving.

Never in her place.

She would go off to bed and trustworthy patrons would mind the till. There was no nonsense either. She was loved and respected too much.

I think I posted this once before but,,,,,,
I remember going to Elsie's back in the late 70's early 80's
w/Clem Valko. It was mid afternoon and the place was busy.
Elsie was sitting at one end of the bar and people were routinely
going behind, taking a bottle of beer and putting the money in the
till. the place had a really happy vibe to it.

New2this New2this
3 weeks ago

Why and when did Elsies close ?

You might want to ask on Facebook on one of the Historic Hackettstown sites.

Love the local interest in local history! Such a great way to connect communities.

TJS

According to her obituary from the Star-Gazette in Feb., 1999, she owned "Claus's Inn" from 1940-1980. We have a newspaper article from The Daily Advance (March 7, 1975) that mentioned that work helped to keep her young. She, and her husband Joseph, were born in Germany and came here in 1928, living and working in East Orange for 10 years, then buying the Bluebell Inn, in Stanhope. They bought the "Old Canal House", in 1940, then her Joseph died in June, 1944.

She ran it until 1980, and from what I was told elsewhere, one of her sisters (Clara?) may have run it for a couple of years. It seems as though that last 5 years between the article and her retiring must have changed things. She was nearly 80, after all, which in those times was relatively advanced. It all depends on how her health was too. She did live to the age of 97!

Elsie apparently sold part of the property on August 11, 1982, apparently to her sister Clara's family, and there were succeeding transactions after that until the year before she passed away, mostly via honorarium/nominal consideration.

Hackettstown History Hackettstown History
2 weeks ago

Elsie had eyes like an eagle and made money from everything sold in that bar. Every beer ,drink , bottle of soda , bag of peanuts, and kippers .Elsie also made money from the pool table and jukebox in the bar. Elsie also dumped all her garbage in the small cove near the bar on the Musconetcong River near the bar. The bar was also the place where the Saxton Falls Rod and Gun Club spent time during hunting season. Elsie also had rowboats for rent to fishermen that went out on the river.

I went fishing there with my brother. He bought a six-pack of beer, rented a boat ($5) and we went fishing on the Musky. That was the first time I went there. Another very memorable time was one day when I decided not to just drive by on my way home but to stop and check out the bar. Upon arriving at the bar: a man sitting at the bar said, "this is your lucky day!" I asked why and he said, "It's Elsie's birthday and she is buying drinks!" I looked at Elsie, who was standing behind the small bar and asked, "really?" she said "yes, what'll you have?" I cautiously asked how old she was and she said "97". I thought it strange that she was buying me a drink on her birthday instead of me buying her a drink. I offered to buy her one but she politely turned it down. The next time I saw anyone around the property it was when I stopped to ask how much they wanted for the property. "Two million" was the response as the man was hustled into a state car.....perhaps in handcuffs.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Anyone have stories of Elsie & her Tavern on Waterloo Rd?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.