Hackettstown Catwalks

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows why the catwalks around town are closed?

Mrs. Ward Mrs. Ward
1 week ago

To address some of the deferred maintenance.

I'm curious. What and where are these catwalks? I've never heard of them.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
1 week ago

Catwalks are simply sidewalks with fencing that connect various blocks throughout the neighborhoods. Since Hackettstown does not offer school busing until recently, these were installed to provide shorter access for walking to school.

There are several. One connects Arthur Terrace to Mitchell Road.
Another from Arthur Road to the high school. Another connecting Jay Court to Victor Court. Another connecting Shelley drive to Seymour Terrace. There is also one from the back side of the high school over to Reese Ave, Hatchery Hill School. And finally one from Willow Grove school to Morgan Terrace.

That should state Arthur Terrace to the high school....

Thanks. Had no idea.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
1 week ago

I believe they got the name "Cat Walks" due to the "No Dogs Allowed" signs that are posted at each entryway.

Mike Herbst Mike Herbst
1 week ago

Right Said Fred ruined the word “catwalk” in my brain forever.

Consigliere
1 week ago

LOL

Actually according to the Google universe they are simply:

Pedestrian shortcut

A catwalk is a short pedestrian shortcut that is usually the length of one or two houses."

Wow, gonna be costly.....Are they used often?

Richie
1 week ago

Most are used daily. Just as all of the other buildings and grounds owned by the municipality, every so often maintenance must be done.

There are state grants available for this type of work as well as the capital improvement monies that can be allocated.

Greg. Cheaper than busing. Right?

I would imagine so! They are a nice feature to have in the neighborhoods for sure.

Re: Hackettstown Catwalks

In Pittsburgh, they refer to them as "Death Stairs", lol...

ianimal ianimal
1 week ago

An appropriate name! One stumble on the way down will most likely not end well. Also, the high probability of a coronary event after climbing those bad boys would be less than desirable..... LOL

Ian

Perhaps you belong to the same Facebook group I do, called "Death Stairs". Of course, many of them DO happen to be in Pittsburgh, or that area of PA.

Phil D. Phil D.
1 week ago

Not sure if they qualify as “death stairs” but the stairs in DC (Georgetown I believe) where they shot The Exorcist are pretty steep.

Consigliere
1 week ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Hackettstown Catwalks
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.