Noise etiquette in restaurants

I visited a small Main St. restaurant this weekend and had to leave due to the extreme noise level. My companion and I moved outside to be able to hear each other due to the extreme noise of the other customers. Yelling to each other rather than speaking. Staff did nothing about it. What's the right way to handle such rudeness?

Moving outside was likely your only option. I would try another time of day if possible or simply check it off the list of places to go.

Etiquette for the most part is a fading attribute these days. Also, if one were at a nice higher end restaurant that kind of behavior would not occur typically. However most places on our Main street are not one of these. Still great but one must understand the type of place they are eating at. They can be a bit noisy. Some places simply don't have the décor to accommodate a higher noise level when full.

I have the same issue when the entire family is over for a meal! LOL

Can you be more specific? Was it high noise levels from children or adults? Young adults or “Gladys forgot her hearing aid” loud?

Consigliere
3 days ago

In response to Consigliere:
The noise was from a group of loud adults acting like children, forgetting that they were in a lovely restaurant where people were trying to enjoy their brunch and actually talk to each other. I have been in this restaurant a few times where either the music or the people are just loud. I would like to recommend sound deadening material placed on walls or the very high ceiling. Great food, just too noisy for me. Finding a good brunch place is rare, but even the diner is quieter.

A group of eight is unavoidably going to be much louder than a couple. Maybe the restaurant can hand out a "speaking paddle" so that only one person per table is permitted to speak at a time...

ianimal ianimal
3 days ago

If it was brunch at James On Main.. the room itself is a loud environment.

Even if they put up a large amount of sound deadening panels.. it wouldn't make much difference.

I agree Josh. It takes a specific comprehensive approach when designing a restaurant related to noise and intimacy. A few fabric panels, carpeting and such after the fact won't achieve a lot. While adding some measures after the fact is not completely useless, it's likely not enough to realize a quantifiable reduction in the ambient noise. Unfortunately some places simply have the same acoustic qualities as the inside of a metal dumpster. LOL Add improper music levels and speaker placement, with the human noise factor and it's a recipe for noise pollution.

As an aside, I assume the OP is speaking about Marley's as James does not have outdoor seating nor "very high ceilings" as I recall. Only a couple of places along Main street have adequate, comfortable outdoor seating and very high ceilings.

I agree with the OP it's a shame one can't simply enjoy some time together eating and conversing without straining to hear and be heard.

Ahh... yea, I missed that part.

Loud and Marley's doesn't surprise me...it's a bar.

If someone wants a more appropriate place for- "a lovely restaurant where people were trying to enjoy their brunch and actually talk to each other" I'd suggest trying the Inn at Glen Gardner.

Even if there is a noisy table of people there...there is enough different areas that you can ask to move. Even outside.

There are some places that loud is part of it.

Remember Pietro’s where the kitchen was exposed and louder than the tables. Part of the fun. Orders yelled out. Plates hitting. Mamma’s pretty loud and fun too.

I like Marleys sound unless someone is speaking over it.

How about just asking. Or asking the wait staff. Sometimes people just don’t know.

Otherwise, good choice and next time, lend an ear before you are seated.

Could also be about Stella G's..........

Why do we have to change things just because one customer didn't like the noise. I don't want to sound mean but ... don't go there anymore. I mean I have gone places and had bad meals, but I don't complain about the establishment and ask them to change. I just don't go back.

Why does everyone think now a days that everyone has to change for them. Is it the entitlement of people today? I fell that we have taken "the customer is ALWAYS right" a little too far.

Skipper
2 days ago

Skipper I have to agree with you. If someone thinks the place is too loud either get up and leave before you order or just don't go back. But of course if someone is making a spectacle then you complain.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Noise etiquette in restaurants
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.