Grand & High

They moved the left turning lane stop line on High to Main Street forward. I don’t think tractor trailers will be able to make a a left from Main Street onto High.

Iamrite Iamrite
1 week ago

Yes! Noticed that too! Agree that it will be a problem for when big trucks need to make a turn!

I figured if you were Grand and High that you were across from M&M's......

I think the right turn will be more of a problem than the left turn...

ianimal ianimal
1 week ago

Oh boy, whose idea was that?
Here come the car crashes.

happiest girl
1 week ago

I saw the semi turning right onto high Street today and it was really close. I can see it being an ongoing issue They definitely shouldn't have moved the line forward so much.

smilingbecs smilingbecs
1 week ago

That is dumb what they did, however, it probably won't be the regular drivers that get in an accident, it will be someone not familiar with the area and try to cut the corner. Time will tell.

Mr 4Paws Mr 4Paws
7 days ago

If I'm first in line heading south on High Street, I'm stopping a full car length short of the stop bar, lol.

ianimal ianimal
7 days ago

That's all it was moved forward, about a car length. I too have and would also stop a generous space back from the stop line as well. With all that said I would gather when applying the traffic control elements, DOT has an idea of what will and won't be able to be navigated at that intersection.

Department Of Thinking?

Greg, I've gone through 6 years of aerial photos on Nearmap. There only ever was one car length between the straight/right stop bar and the left turn stop bar. Are you saying they're both at the same location now?

ianimal ianimal
7 days ago

ianimal- Correct. The new left turn lane stop line was simply moved up about a car length to align with the existing stop line for the straight/right turn lane.

bubba- LOL!

"Department Of Thinking?"

They had to swap it with the lines down by the 57 intersection.

What I saw on facebook, it showed a picture of the lines. The person stated that the right turn lane line was moved back to align with the old left turn line. You could see where they tried to cover up the old lines,making be think that this person had it correct, as to what really changed at that intersection.

I agree with Magpie, at least from what I could see from pictures I saw. My question is why did they even have to move the right hand stop line at all? Again, seems like someone was fixing what wasn't broken.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
6 days ago

Hmm. I didn't notice that. I walked across Main Street at that intersection yesterday and glanced over. I'll take another look and report back. LOL

The intersection has a facebook account?

They wanna fix broken? Change the stop sign at 1st and Valentine to let the majority of traffic on 1st to be unimpeded and the minority of traffic on Valentine face a stop sign. At least that one would help the many at the cost of a few and probably save some gas and pollution too.

Re: Grand & High

My guess is that they needed to re-align the crosswalk to connect the two red detectable warning surfaces, which resulted in them needing to move back the right turn stop bar to comply with required separations from crosswalks.

Aerial photo dated June 20, 2024

ianimal ianimal
6 days ago

This photo clears it up. The left turn lane was moved forward a generous car length. The right turn lane was moved back a foot the the center angling back to the curb.
As I took this photo this morning a tractor trailer easily made the left from 46 west onto High Street- with a car at the stop line.

The entire space for reference. The crosswalk was angled from its original position as well.

I was at that intersection today, and from almost everyday experiences there, I noted that yes indeed, the right/straight lane had been moved back a small amount, but the left turn had been brought forward a large amount, perhaps a full car length.

Indeed, looking at Greg's pictures, the top one shows the preliminary markings for the new lines, being set back about 3-4' from the old Rt./St. line, and being straight across both lanes. The new left turn lane line split the difference between the prelim. line and the old line, then angled back to the prelim. line on the curbside of the Right turn lane.

That part makes sense for the (hopeful) safety of pedestrians and those who are wheelchair-bound that need to go from the marked safety region which has the ramps, just as Ian mentions. However, when you look at Greg's 2nd pic, you can see how the older Left turn lane's stop line was moved a good car length ahead, ostensibly to get more traffic through by having that lane closer to the main part of the intersection.

If we're all lucky, having the lane more forward will let traffic move through the left turn from High St. more easily, and drivers making the left from 46E will be able to judge the turn better by seeing that there's actually a car in that lane, and it's not just a single lane coming through. Before, the turn lane was hidden by being back so far. Not an issue, if you're from the area and know that intersection, but for visitors and newbies, it may be a surprise to see that lane appear only when you're well into the turn.

Making a right onto High from 46W looks as though it's a tighter go now too.

Phil D. Phil D.
5 days ago

The state is coming back and pushing the line back

Jim L

Hopefully they'll retime the Mountain Ave. light too. Only 4 cars, following each other fairly closely got through the light around 6pm. 6 very loosely spaced cars came through from Willow Grove. Couldn't count the ones on Main, but that's the main artery, so obviously they should have more time with a green light.

Phil D. Phil D.
4 days ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.