Car Radio Repair

My car radio gives out blasts of static and stops working often. I'm fairly certain it's a wire issue (mousies in the garage). Any recs for a place to go to get it fixed. Of course, I do not want to spend a lot (who does?). It's a regular radio/CD player that came with the car (2007 Honda). Nothing fancy.
I'm already aware of the one place in town on Main Street. I have reservations about them due to some negative thoughts from past experience.
I didn't realize how annoying silence in the car can be. I prefer music or sports talk.

Lonesome Dove Lonesome Dove
2 days ago

I recommend going to Best Buy and have an aftermarket unit installed. Most likely the least expensive way to go.

If the problem is actually in the wiring, having a new unit installed will be a waste of money.

Jim Beckman
2 days ago

Not necessarily. A new head unit comes with a harness that is integrated into the existing radio harness. A quick visual inspection once the old unit is out, will easily determine if there is a faulty wiring issue. If that is the only component electronically that is acting up, most likely it's within the radio.

Any chance it could be a dirty pot like my old Marantz?

What happens if you wiggle the volume knob while it is making static?

When I purchased my current vehicle the lights on the CD player stopped working so I brought it to the dealer. Big costly mistake , I could have gone to exoticustom on main Street it would have been less expensive and better service.

My radio/CD player stopped working on my 6 month old vehicle. I went right to the dealer. After a second radio installed also didn't work. Finally the diagnosis was a huge mouse nest in the headliner. The cost was $2000 (mostly) time and materials. Not covered under the warranty because it was not a manufacturing defect. .

Parental Unit Parental Unit
2 days ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Car Radio Repair
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.