Photo Hut

Photo Hut

I know a bunch of people like taking photos and many of you received new cameras over the holiday. Here's a chance for you to share your favorite photos with other aspiring artists.

Some guidelines to follow:

1. Only post pictures you have taken. There are plenty of places on the Internet to discuss other peoples photography.

2. Let's try to keep things local. Local can be in your house, your background or anywhere in NorthWest New Jersey area. Rebecka started a thread for travel photography and there is already a thread for pet photos.

3. If you take a bunch of pictures, just post your best photo from the bunch. I'm sure all of your photos are beautiful unique snowflakes, but let's give others a chance to share. :)

I'll get things started. This is a panoramic I took yesterday in the snow of Centenary composed of 36 images stitched together.

Chris Chris
Jan '11

Re: Photo Hut

I took this in October. It's on Allen Rd in Washington Township.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

That's beautiful, Firefly!

Tracy Tracy
Jan '11

Taken at Shawnee this fall.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Beaver dam on Shades of Death Rd.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

photo of our pond which is part of the old Morris Canal (in Port Murray)

Thanks Tracy. Nice shot The Man. I like churches. This one is Saint Joseph's in Pittsfield, MA

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Williamsburg,Va.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

Antietam battlefield

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

Gorgeous pictures BUT did anyone read the rule

"2. Let's try to keep things local. Local can be in your house, your background or anywhere in NorthWest New Jersey area. Rebecka started a thread for travel photography and there is already a thread for pet photos."

I love seeing all pictures.

Christine Christine
Jan '11

I was thinking the same thing Christine. There is another thread (set up by Rebecka) for vacation and out of town photos.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/224334#t224814

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

Dumkuf Me

Vee rulls vil NEVER be broken again.

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

LOL THE MAN. Nice photos BTW.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

thanks for reminding me why I need to stay as far away as possible to this forum...forgive me I had a weak moment.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Firefly,

We have been chastised!

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

OMG! Stop acting like babies. It's not the end of the world, we were just pointing out that there were two threads started with two specific purposes. Lighten up, be happy :)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

Wow, there are some great shots here!

There's a beaver dam on Shades of Death Rd?! Where? I would love to have a pic of one of those busy little critters.

Chris -- that's 36 shots!? Holy G-d. What program did you use to stitch them all together so perfectly? I'm really blown away. You would never know it's more than one shot taken with a super wide. The end result is wonderful and very unique.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Cheers The Man! We best not forget there are rules UM no actually I think Chris called them guidelines.....

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Columbia Trail in Long Valley, NJ

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Nosila, breathtaking shot. Kudos!!! Firefly, I had no idea you had an eye for photography! Awesome shots!

Reggie Reggie
Jan '11

Beautiful Nosila

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Chris Your photo of Centenary is fantastic..
Stan I love the color of the pond surface.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Taken above the hackettstown Pool, about 3 years ago

A fall sunset as viewed from the scenic overlook on rt. 80 just East of Allamuchy

I know the rules were only one photo but I'm a rebel

This one was taken at a Farm on Rt 57 in Mansfield/Port Murray

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Rich- That's such a cool picture

Hopefully we get a nice storm on Tuesday I want to go and take some pictures

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Firefly- Love the picture of the church. I'm a fan of barns. I have a lot of pictures of Barns but they are from VA so they don't fit in this thread

Stan- the water looks so pretty in that picture

The Man- Love your pictures.....I want to take some more of buildings and such. I want nice weather to come back so I can do so.

Anyone ever take a photography class? I was wondering if I should take one and if it's worth it. I actually just did my first engagement shoot and would like to continue so I was wondering if a class would help me or if it's worth my time.

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Well, they're really more like guidelines... :o)

Awesome pictures, everyone!

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town
Jan '11

These are great pictures!

Bessie Bessie
Jan '11

Nosila - I have not taken a class, but I do think it would be beneficial. It would give you a better understanding of aperture, shutter speed and bracketing. Dslr's offer a huge advantage as you can play with the adjustments of these settings and see the results immediately. I use a 35mm which does not allow me to do so.

Also I am Very upset I can't find the photo or photo cd of the picture I want to post on here :-(

Ryan(ligitty) Ryan(ligitty)
Jan '11

Gorgeous pictures by all......I am enjoying them.

Christine Christine
Jan '11

Nosila, Whatever equipment(along with your knack for it) you are using is absolutely astonishing! I love the clarity of it all...

CARNi CARNi
Jan '11

:-) @ hopeful

Reggie!!!!!! not sure I do actually...

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Rebecka:

I use Photoshop CS5 or Microsoft ICE, which is free for Windows for "non-commercial" use.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/

What's really cool about it, is the crazy depth-of-field you can get with it. Here's another I took, which was 19 images.

Chris Chris
Jan '11

Carni- To be honest some of the pictures I have posted have been taken with my $140.00 Sony CyberShot such as the fall one of Columbia Trail in Long Valley

Here is another on of a barn at the end of Karrsville Road. Not the greatest as being perfect since you can see the shadows.

What a great thread Chris.

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Nosila,
Is the Columbia Trail open to the public?
If yes, could you give directions on where the starting point is?
Beautiful picture!
Thanks...

Spring Fever
Jan '11

Off Shades of Death Rd. This is one of my all time fave pictures.

Still in the Family
Jan '11

Spring Fever- Yes it's open to the public. There are many open parts to start I believe it's like 15/16 miles long. We always start on Schooley's Mountain. You go down the Mountain and it's on the right hand side before the garage that fixes Volvos. The parking area is across from that bank. It's a really nice flat trail perfect for biking and walking

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Okay, I'm not a photographer, but I was kind of intrigued with this one. It's Oxford Furnace Lake this past fall. I was at my son's soccer game. It's really just a snapshot, but it was one of the first photos I took with my Droid X phone! I guess you can't totally fail when the scenery looks like this!

Jan '11

Great photo Hopeful. Ah the beauty of Oxford :)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

I should have also said that all these photos are incredible! I thought you might like this one, Calico! :o)

Jan '11

Thanks Nosila!

Spring Fever
Jan '11

That's it. I'm taking a day trip to Shades of Death Rd. Your pics have inspired me -- it's too beautiful. Now where are those beavers?? THE MAN don't be stingy with your secret beaver dam location -- tell me! :-D J/K

I'm a bit hesitant to post my best pics here... because picture theft is kind of rampant on the 'net -- any stranger can log on to the forum or any other site and steal pics. However, the size and quality is reduced so much here, that I suppose not much could be done with the stolen image. I do however put copyright info right on any images I want to protect, and others should think about doing the same. If you have a unique, fabulous image, you might write your name or copyright across it in bold lettering.

Here is a BlueJay pic that got a lot of good feedback from pros. It was taken right in my back yard.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Good point, Rebecka -- and great shots, as always.

Not that mine are all that good, but how would one put a copyright note or your name on a photo?

Jan '11

Rebecka...that blue jay picture is amazing!

Spring Fever
Jan '11

Nosila - just read that you were thinking of a class. I would say yes, if it is taught by someone who knows what the heck he/she is doing. There are people out there who are billing themselves as pros who have absolutely no clue, and whose photos are pretty laughable to people who have studied photography. Some people think that they buy a really expensive camera, and suddenly they're an expert. That's a joke. Digital cameras allow most people to take good pictures. They make photography a snap. Getting to the next level requires a lot of studying and help and critique from experts.

Better yet is a mentor. I personally had 3 renowned wildlife photographers who mentored me for 2 years, and I participate in a forum of pros. You submit a photo you think is good, and you either get kudos or you get ripped apart. That's how I became a better photographer. I started out thinking my photos were good, and they were typical-good. Solid shots, but not over-the-top, someone-will-pay-for-this good.

Also, I recommend photo trips, where you go away to a unique location to study with pros. These exist for all types of photography - people, landscapes, architecture, nature, etc. Classes are generally limited to 4-6 participants per pro. Not cheap, but worth it if you are serious about getting into photography.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Hopeful -- If YOU like your shot, than someone else will as well. Definitely don't hesitate to put your name and/or "copyright" on it! You probably have the PAINT software program on your computer. Open your picture in paint, then click on the letter T tab on the left, and then click anywhere on the pic to start writing.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Thanks, Rebecka!

Jan '11

These are all great pictures!

@Chris - did you photoshop that pay phone into the picture and add the shadows?

maja:

The photo of the pay phone wasn't edited at all.

Chris Chris
Jan '11

Hardly a pay phone left in the country, and it's not even at a gas station!!

Mt.Lake

THE MAN THE MAN
Jan '11

Great photos! I really wanted to get this Nikon dSLR but never went ahead and got it. Have always had an interest in photography, video-editing but never have really settled down to do it. maybe soon ...

ComputerSharp ComputerSharp
Jan '11

Shippen Manor on the day of the investigation by TAPS

John C John C
Jan '11

There is a lake back by Saxton Falls that is absolutely beautiful in the fall. This pic was taken this past year.

Happy Homemaker Happy Homemaker
Jan '11

Great stuff, everyone! THE MAN, I love that spot up at Mountain Lake! Beautiful!

Jan '11

Holy cow, these are truly beautiful pictures!! Great idea for a thread. Love seeing local sites so wonderfully captured. Makes me want to take some day trips just around our area.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Snowy night on Main...

Chris Chris
Jan '11

Musconetcong river in the fall

Denis Denis
Jan '11

this is a shot i took after a fresh snow fall...from my deck

oldman oldman
Jan '11

Denis - it's hard to tell because the forum compresses and shrinks photos, but did you apply a painterly, maybe watercolor, effect to your shot? It's really pretty.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

The Man... i used to go on vacation there as a kid (when i lived in NJ) isnt that where the spring water came from? my dad was originally from oxford and i lived in H'town for 9 yrs b4 moving here...

NJ2FL05
Jan '11

Yes NJ2FL05 that is on the road that loops around Mountain Lake.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Thanks Rebecka, it was originally a slide, that had made into a print. The print came out a little rough so I reduced the noise with Photo Shop elements. I liked that kind of watercolor look, so I took it a little further.

Denis Denis
Jan '11

The Moose drinking at a local watering hole!

John C John C
Jan '11

Winter is forcing me to organize my photos....Here is a run down house in VA not sure why but I like this picture

I forgot about a lot of these pictures I have taken

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Just another barn

nosila nosila
Jan '11

This is why the call them the Blue Ridge Mountains

Ok, I will stop posting now

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Nosila, you are a gifted photographer. Your pictures are so engaging.

Nosila - Great pics, but isn't this supposed to be the local pics thread ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '11

Thank you so much

Calico- I'm a rebel

nosila nosila
Jan '11

OMG nosila love th eBlue ridge mountains one!!!

Christine Christine
Jan '11

i wanna see pictures with ghosts and apparitions in them!!!! :)

icicle icicle
Jan '11

Wow - nice pics Nosila!! All of them are great - I especially love the barn shot.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Waterloo Cemetery at night. Looking forward to futher investigations in June.

John C John C
Jan '11

Musty river by Doctor's park

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

Took this in October form the Lavallette boardwalk. Sand dune and ocean waves in the background

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

I kept it local to New Jersey. Although the shore isn't Northwest but everyone that see's the picture likes it

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

TheHazGuy,

Musty River by Dr. Park...was that taken on the Seber's side of the Grove?
Looks familiar...

Spring Fever
Jan '11

Yes Musky not Musty like I mis-typed right behind the soccer field off the path

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

A view from the other side of Seber's

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Oh.....forgot to give icicle a ghost picture taken in a local North Jersey establishment!

John C John C
Jan '11

TheHazGuy and Firefly, thanks for sharing those pictures.
Firefly, that looks like a tricky picture to get. Were you hanging off the dam to get it
or in the water?

Spring Fever
Jan '11

Where was that John C?

Denis Denis
Jan '11

As local as I can get, my back yard.

Denis Denis
Jan '11

RT. 57 Port Murray, torn down now.

Denis Denis
Jan '11

OMG John C. is that picture for real?? I suppose you don't want to name the establishment!?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

John C: Could that photo possibly have been taken at the old Charlie Browns in Hackettstown?

joyful joyful
Jan '11

Photo taken at the Hunt House in Fredon up in Sussex County. This is a clip from a Digital Video Camera (DVC) that is about a minute long of a mist forming then moving up the stairs before dissapating. Can't say for sure what it is, wether paranormal or camera malfuntion or other. Just spooky.

The picture here is a location here in Warren County. As soon as I can find it, I will post an interesting photo taken this year.

John C John C
Jan '11

Was this Photo taken across the street from Old Police Headquarters on Washington Street in Hackettstown? ( 300 block).. Sure looks like the place..

joyful joyful
Jan '11

See anything out of the ordinary?

John C John C
Jan '11

something comming down the stairs?

onlooker
Jan '11

John - I have to say, your 2 photos are VERY compelling! It really looks like there are ghosts on the stairs in each. I wonder why spirits like stairways? Often, photos show some kind of whitish cloud on stairs. Do you ever get scared???

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Ugly carpet ?

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Jan '11

ooooh TY John, those photos are pretty amazing! I might have to take a tour/trip with you one day, im fascinated with ghosthunting :)

icicle icicle
Jan '11

High Point 1803 feet.

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

Here is another shot of High Point

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Thank you TheHazGuy.. Great shots of High Point

Brings back memories of childhood trips there to Port Jervis, NY..grew up in Middletown and had all our family picnics there

joyful joyful
Jan '11

Sorry. Thanks Firefly as well!

joyful joyful
Jan '11

It is a beautiful spot. So is the surrounding area and the ride up there.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

You did it! Congratulations! Best soup in town! Great job, everybody!

Chris
Jan '11

I call this the Webs of Winter.

4paws 4paws
Jan '11

Look up in the sky High Point straight up last pic of HP

thehazguy thehazguy
Jan '11

Just took a drive heading towards the Walpack Inn. We took many photo's but this is one of my favorites.

Taken on Naughright Road, yesterday eve. (Graphic - dead deer.) Light was awful. I lightened the shadows quite a bit in Photoshop to get some details on this.

Raptor experts -- what kind of raptor is this?!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Gee, I think that might be a hawk, Rebecka! Great photo -- really interesting color...

Chris, I love your Buddy-the-Elf comment about the Stella G's soup, lol! Also a very nice photo; they should put it on their website! :o)

Jan '11

Thanks, hopeful, but I'm looking for something more specific than "a hawk!" :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Rebecka - Its wings are raised and it's a bit tough to tell if there isn't a bit of reddish brown color mixed in there. If there is (and I'm thinking what looks like the very top does have red) it's probably a Red Shouldered Hawk. The other possibility is if the tail feathers were clearer and all a light reddish brown then it would be a Red Tailed Hawk which is very common around here.

I'm thinking a Cooper's Hawk/Accipiter cooperii

http://www.birdsisaw.com/bis/Birds/Coopers_Hawk/

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Sorry, Rebecka -- I'm not a raptor expert, lol. I was thinking red tailed hawk since they are so common, but I didn't want to speculate. I know it's not a turkey vulture, though! :o)

Jan '11

very excited for my new lens

nosila nosila
Jan '11

My pet birds

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Not the greatest pic of the chickadee but I like the way the branches look

nosila nosila
Jan '11

ButterMilk falls back by Walpack village. Past Tillman's ravine Stokes State forest area

thehazguy thehazguy
Jan '11

Nosila you got a new lens!? That was fast. Congrats!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

thehaz - is that off Old Mine Rd? What does your name mean, btw?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

thehaz - is that off Old Mine Rd? What does your name mean, btw?
Rebecka

You take Strube Rd (left turn) after you pass the entrance to Stokes State Forest (State Park) heading north on Rt 206. Follow Strube Rd past Tilman's ravine and the next intersection (unmarked road) make a left with a cemetery on the corner. Check out the link.

I work for a hazardous waste removal company for the past 31 plus years.

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/ButterMi...s-Loop_5602.asp
Gravatar for TheHazGuy

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

Link for Buttermilk Falls does not work. Google: Buttermilk Falls loop NJ

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

Rebecka- I couldn't wait I think I have a sick addiction now

I have to figure out what lens I need next maybe you can help me with that :) Not sure if I should get wide angle next or an even bigger zoom tel lens

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Ok, will google, haz guy. That is one of the prettiest waterfalls I've seen in NJ! Hazardous waste... now your name makes sense!

Also...
I posted my raptor photo on a site frequented by naturalists. It is a juvenile red-tailed hawk, according to several experts. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

A few more storms and this could be our town!

Cooper Gristmill, Chester NJ

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Love this one it's simple but I just like

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Gorgeous door!!!!!!!!!!

I have a ton of photography magazines to give you, Nosila, if you're interested. I subscribe to most of them, and can give you so many back/recent issues...

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Greg - tell me that's photoshopped.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '11

Calico - can you try to repost the link you had at the beginning of this thread for out-of-town photos? The link you have in your post does not go to the out-of-town photos. Thanks!

Jules
Jan '11

Rebecka- I would be in my glory to have any ones you no longer want

nosila nosila
Jan '11

Here's the "General Photo" thread:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/253714

Love the red door!

Bessie Bessie
Jan '11

Nosila Where is that red door? Beautiful. I am going to post one on the other thread of a red door. (not local) Check it out

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Firefly- It was a church in Chester

nosila nosila
Jan '11

This is a great thread. I want to look through it more when i have time. Firefly i loved your first one especially.

Here is mine. Taken a little before one of our smaller snow events earlier this winter with the clouds not quite thick enough to cover the sun yet.

Bryan Bryan
Jan '11

This one is off of Old Mine Rd Couldn't find the right entrance last time I was up there

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

Lime Crest Road in Andover Twp. Coming back from the Sussex County Household facility quite a few years ago when I lived in Sparta. Sun shining off the tree tops after an ice coating.

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

Just loving all these photos, everyone! Thanks so much for sharing....

Jan '11

Thanks Bryan, I am with Hopeful I love these photos!

Firefly Firefly
Jan '11

Bryan:

Kind of weird that I took a similar picture yesterday morning.

Chris
Jan '11

Top of Buttermilk Falls looking down at the pool.

thehazguy thehazguy
Jan '11

I'll have to go check out Buttermilk falls sometime. I've heard of it and I know it's only a couple of miles away from me, but I've never been there.

Hazguy when you mention directions before you said make a left on Strube Road. I think it is Strubel if anyone is searching on their GPS.

M & K M & K
Jan '11

Just "Googled" it Below is the correct spelling for GPS units or put Thanks I had it wrong

struble rd nj

TheHazGuy TheHazGuy
Jan '11

Recent shot of a local farm.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '11

Thank you all for the local pictures. Miss the scenery and beauty.

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Feb '11

I've been "hunting" Horned Larks for 3 days. They are real ground-pounders, moving away as soon as you get anywhere near. Here's the best I could do. I'm going to add it to my birds-taken list, but I'm going to keep trying on this tough species!

This was taken near Oberly Road in Alpha, NJ, about 45 minutes away from Htown. It's a renowned place amongst birders to find Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, and Lapland Longspurs (in case anyone else is a birder).

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '11

Another one from Oberly Rd., Alpha.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '11

Love that last pic Rebecka, very serene with that one lonely tree in the background.

Denis Denis
Feb '11

I love the tree in that photo Rebecka Took some pics yesterday. Here's one. I love the contrasting colors of the stone.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '11

the Man~~the picture, isnt that where you could get the spring water from?

NJ2FL05
Feb '11

Beautiful day for a red door!

Firefly Firefly
Feb '11

Mill in Clinton.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '11

Your last picture of the mill here is great FireFly! I always liked admiring that as I went by it... Havent been able to see it much lately though....

Thanks!

CARNi CARNi
Feb '11

Thanks Carni.....I took a ride the other day.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '11

Firefly, did you know the mill has a copyright on it and right to any images of it as in photos, paintings, drawings and so on?

I have heard stories of them suing folks over images taken of it for "potential copyright infringement"

Not that I agree with it as most folks like us just want them for ourselves. But I guess their take is, if everyone takes a photo, they don't make any money off their reputation and the beauty/history of the place.

Coyote tracks... out by our shed.

Interesting description of coyote vs. dog prints here:

http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00260/facts/pawprints.html

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '11

Stan I just saw your post. How the heck would someone know that. I guess I am glad I did not "sign " my picture. Goodness reminds me of the song Signs.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

Another red door in Newton this time.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

Site of the "Gateway to Hell" at Fort Hancock in Sandy Hook. Tonights investigation Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

John C John C
Mar '11

John - what happened at the Gateway?! Are you still around to talk about it? Give us a sign you're ok! :P

Stan - really, there is a copyright on all images of the Mill? I had no idea that was possible....

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '11

A new lake is forming in front of Dunkin Donuts. I've seen it worse. Anyone want to go out on the island so I can take pictures? :)

Chris Chris
Mar '11

Great photos, everyone ~ to think I didn't check out this thread because I thought it was about those little huts we used to take our photos to be developed, lol.

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Mar '11

LOL happy. Bet you couldn't find one of those huts now if your life depended on it. I recall someone on here recently saying that they were trying to find somewhere that would develop the film from a disposable camera. I don't think they had much luck.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '11

I bet they didn't, Calico ~ ;P

But I'm really so very impressed with all the great photographers amongst us. These photos are really, really nice. Thanks for sharing!

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Mar '11

This was on a door in Chester...just loved it not sure why

Firefly- I took a picture today for you I still have to upload it

Nosila Nosila
Mar '11

I know it's not a landscape picture but it's my favorite so far. I was asked to do an engagement shoot so I jumped at the opportunity

Nosila Nosila
Mar '11

Firefly- After uploading it I'm not that thrilled with it LOL. However, when I passed this church I thought about you and liking red doors....

Nosila Nosila
Mar '11

did you know the mill has a copyright on it and right to any images of it as in photos, paintings, drawings and so on?

I have heard stories of them suing folks over images taken of it for "potential copyright infringement" - Stan

Really? Cause I had my wedding photos done there and I never asked permission and no one stopped me. We were there for a good hour and not a word

Just Asking Just Asking
Mar '11

Nosila - Thanks I think it may be the hardware I am attracted to. Where was this one? Love your shot of the engaged couple. Bet you got some other great and creative shots too.

JA - and here I thought I was going to be hunted down. Maybe Stan will comment.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

Firefly- It's a church on Main Street Port Murray

Yeah, i got some awesome shots but I didn't want to post their faces online LOL

Nosila Nosila
Mar '11

Thanks Nosila..I will check it out.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '11

I may have an addiction to food photography.

Grilling season!

Chris Chris
Apr '11

Chris - I'll make you a deal. You photograph it, I'll eat it.

food porn!!!!

hungry
Apr '11

LOL......thats what deadhead made us for dinner tonight! Except ours was chicken!

Christine Christine
Apr '11

Christine - He made porn for dinner???!!?!?!? Way, way, way too much information...

ROTFLMAO noooo GC kabobs............LOL!

Christine Christine
Apr '11

is that kielbasa?? If so I have to try that.....I never thought to do that but it looks yummy

Nosila Nosila
Apr '11

Yes. Just make sure you put them on through the sides so they hold on better.

Chris Chris
Apr '11

Nosila - Should have bought the kielbasa at Shoprite today. ;-) I haven't done the kebabs like that with kielbasa, but I *definitely* grill mine like that. Particularly some nice well done grilling works wonders...

Christine - Well it's what was the post before you, I'm definitely glad you clarified that. Particularly since you also said chicken was involved...

So Chris, when are we invited for dinner?..the potatoes look great and the kabobs, never thought to do them with kielbasi. Do you season the potatoes?

Bessie Bessie
Apr '11

Actually, this was at a friends. The potatoes were partially cooked in the microwave (quicker than boiling) with onions and parsley maybe? Not really sure. They would have just done them in the oven or on the stove, but the kitchen was under construction.

I don't think using the grill added anything.

Here's a sunset at the Field of Dreams.

Chris Chris
Apr '11

Here's why I went to Oregon - to get a shot of a Sage Grouse displaying like this! All the males gather together in a group called a Lek, and fight to defend their turf, and for the females... really interesting behavior to witness.

And I know there are quite a few other photogs on here, so here are the technicals:

Canon 7D
Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM AF lens
Manual mode
1/1000 s.
f4.5
ISO 500

Rebecka Rebecka
May '11

500mm seems wide. Why don't you just use the 1200mm next time? :)

http://vimeo.com/5164377

Chris Chris
May '11

Chris - At over 30lbs that burns 1000 calories per hour. And the first name changer that challenges me over the weight loss factor is gonna have a problem. ;-)

Chris - so funny - I saw the 1200mm review just before leaving. If only I had $120K to spare for another lens! yeah, right...

Most of the people I was shooting with had 600 or 800mm lenses! At 13+ lbs, they're just too heavy for me.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '11

Rebecka:

I lust after fast primes, I can't imagine wanting some of these long L lenses. I can buy my entire dream setup for the cost of one of those.

Chris Chris
May '11

I also had the opportunity to photograph a beautiful Australian Shepherd (from Alaska)!

Canon 7D
Canon EF 24mm f1.4L ii USM
Manual mode
1/6400s
f 2
ISO 100

Rebecka Rebecka
May '11

Rebecka - What a great guy. But 24mm and filling the frame?? What did you do, rest the camera on his eyeball?? You would have thought a 105-115 could do the same 10 times further away. ;-)

GC:

The 7D has a 1.6x crop factor, so the 24mm really has the view of about 38mm. She was still close, but not that close.

You should have used your 300mm. The compression would have given delicious bokeh even at f4.

Chris Chris
May '11

A Streetlamp Named Desire...

19 image panoramic w/ Canon 7D + 50mm f1.4

Chris Chris
May '11

Chris - impossible to take a dog portrait with a 300 mm! Unless I want to be so far away I have no interaction with the dog. My goal is to provide intimate shots... at the dog's level, close to him... to really capture the dog. 24mm with a 1.6 crop factor is a not uncommon lens set-up to use for this type of photography.

I did crop about 25% from the original -- should have specified. But I am close to my subjects when photographing. That's how I get them to smile! ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '11

I like your photo Chris - but it makes me wish our power lines were buried! Nice colors, nice "real" capture of our town.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '11

I need to get out and take some pictures......these make me want to go out today

Nosila Nosila
May '11

Love this photo from a reenactment not to long ago!

John C John C
May '11

Commercialized red door.

Chris Chris
May '11

Rebecka:

I removed the transmission lines, but it makes it look "wrong".

Must get out and take photos today. I need to start a jogging photo group.

Chris Chris
May '11

Make sure the group has a specific age window....LOL

Calico696 Calico696
May '11

I'm not picky, I just want to take photos and talk photography. :)

Hopefully I can get Zooey Deschanel to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h6iCn0301M

Chris Chris
May '11

Chris - do we have to jog?! How about a coffee-photography group!! :-D

Rebecka Rebecka
May '11

The jogging was just a joke from the movie 'Yes Man'. The pictures come out all blurry. :)

I was thinking more photo walking. I don't find cups of coffee too exciting to photograph. :P

Did you ever make it to Deer Park?

Chris Chris
May '11

Ahh, I thought you meant just chat about photography - didn't realize you meant take pics at the same time. That would be fun, though! Did not make it to Deer Pond - went away when the weather started getting real nice, and then have been busy shooting dogs and working on my upcoming website... I need a break. If you wanted to do Deer Pond Park with cameras in tow, I'm game!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '11

I'm just inspired by Photo Walks like this one at SXSW in Austin.

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2011/03/16/photowalk-recap-and-the-new-austin/

Obviously that one was huge, but it seems like there isn't any photo communities around here. We could talk shop or I have no problem just helping people that may not be that into it, but just want to take better pictures of their kids. Digital photography is ~10 years old, so I look at it as we are all learning.

There are a handful of people on the Warren/Morris flickr groups, but they have gotten quiet.

Chris Chris
May '11

You need to *start* a photo group, Chris! :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '11

Only thing that is so hard about starting a group is a time that is good for most...that's the hardest part

So maybe starting a photo group would be better than me finding a class to attend. So if a group does get started I would be interested.

I tried to find some classes to take but not sure where to go. I don't want to pay for a class without seeing the instructors work and I better be impressed if I'm paying to have someone teach me some things. Some of the classes I looked into I'm shocked and disappointed when I see the pictures in their portfolios

Nosila Nosila
May '11

My favorite shot from today's first paid engagement shoot :)

Nosila Nosila
May '11

Love it! Great job Nosila!

Calico696 Calico696
May '11

NICE ROCK!

LOL!

Seriously great picture Nosila........saw them all and thought all were good!

Christine Christine
May '11

Well let's hope they thought so LOL.....This is the worst part after you send the pics to them and waiting for the response....ekkkkkk I will be up all night until the email me that all is good

Nosila Nosila
May '11

Streetlight Manifesto...

Chris Chris
Jun '11

Chris OMG I love that pic! Did you apply special effects? Is that an HDR image? That didn't come out of your camera that way, I imagine?? It's amazing!

Definitely one of the coolest pics of our town I've seen.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '11

Oh, just scrolled up and saw the pic of the ring, too. Nosila - how creative!! I'm sure they'll be pleased with your work.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '11

Rebecka:

It's HDR, but no special filters or trickery besides that. You need the extra stops to get the details in the sky and the buildings that aren't directly lit by street lamps.

Here is another from the sidewalk.

Chris Chris
Jun '11

the streetlight manifesto picture...makes Hackettstown look like somewhere in the Yukon territories

oldman oldman
Jun '11

With a famous and local DJ at the Phillipsburg 150th Parade last weekend.

John C John C
Jun '11

I took this at a wedding today with my iPhone camera. I thought it was a pretty shot. I thought it was a gerber daisy, but my friend thought it was a red sunflower.

Lovely, nonetheless. It was on a table at the outdoor cocktail hour, as the sun was waning.

What a beautiful day today!

Oct '11

So pretty Hopeful...It was a great day to be outside.

Firefly Firefly
Oct '11

Hopeful: Your posts are always a breath of fresh air. It's nice to see you on HL again.

Thanks, guys -- it was just gorgeous out today! cbel, I seem to go on and off HL, depending on time and so on. I happen to be on a little fall break right now at work, so I'm just poking around HL and on Facebook, of course! :o)

Oct '11

Hopeful that's a beautiful picture

I want to go out and take more pictures of door and window...I have no idea why but I love them.

Nosila Nosila
Nov '11

WOW Nosila - beautiful. Someday you'll have a doors and windows coffee table book out.

Hopeful I can't believe you took that with your iPhone. Love the light coming through the vase.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '11

Rebecka that window is right down the street from you :)

Nosila Nosila
Nov '11

Nosila, that is really cool. A gorgeous shot.

Rebecka, I don't know how the iPhone takes such nice pictures -- I did get pretty close up to it, because I really wanted to catch that sun coming through.

I took this picture of a cemetery in Massachusetts during the Halloween weekend snowstorm, and while I know this thread is for local shots, I can't find the "appropriate" thread, so I'm going to add it here.

I also took this with the iPhone.

Nov '11

Wife and kids went out with the in-laws so I decided to play around with some old pics.

1929 DeSoto 2-door coupe - 330HP - Candy/Brandywine red with a silver base.
Taken at 2012 M&M Mars Memorial Day Charity car show.

f/16, iso 100, 1/100 sec, levels tweaked in PS, unsharp mask.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '12

Thought I would bump this thread up with a creepy crawly image. Took this last month. Love looking at everyone's different photos...

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '12

Great photo Rebecka !!

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Nov '12

Thanks, Nick - post something from your recent work? Love looking at your creative images. And everyone else who posts here, too. What have you photographed recently??

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '12

Fall... It's gone.

Chris Chris
Nov '12

This photo is for today's active Zea Mays enthusiast;

With an automatic frame-tilt correction feature already incorporated into the photograph itself, no longer will you have to constantly straighten crooked frames for fear of misguidingly angled photographs! This exceptional time benefit will allow you to ensure your beloved investments are not assaulted by malevolent attackers such as weevils or borers. Impress your friends, and delight women (even more than when you tell them about the size of your stalk!).

This photograph will convey a decisive message to it's viewers; "I care about a straight horizon and the pleasant viewing experience of my fine-art almost as much as I care about Centeotl, the Aztec Diety of Maize...and that's saying a lot."

Price: no less than 400k(ernels)

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Nov '12

Some Guy (Art) - that's a great shot as well, I really like the composition & that sky is amazing!

Rebecka - I've been busy covering games for The Express-Times lately, but I'm hoping to get some creative portraits, etc. online soon.

Latest newspaper work ~ Hackettstown/Warren Hills Football (Tonight, 11/9/2012):
http://photos.lehighvalleylive.com/4424/gallery/hackettstown_football_team_beats_warren_hills_22-14/index.html

More newspaper assignments:
http://connect.lehighvalleylive.com/user/nscalera/photo-gallery.html

Nov '12

Hawk Mountain raptor sanctuary- steps on the trail to the north lookout point. It's worth the hike just for the amazing view of the valley. For birders, it's a must visit site during the annual migration. My 100-300mm zoom was laughable trying to get shots of the birds. I think you need a 400 prime with a 1.5x teleconverter at a minimum. I switch to my wide angle zoom to get some scenic shots.

http://www.hawkmountain.org/

I'm still learning with Photoshop...I bumped the saturation up a very tiny bit to bring the color out in the leaves but I'm not too happy with the reddish color cast it gave to the dirt. Added a second layer with Gaussian blur to bring out the mood.

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '12

*switched

emaxxman emaxxman
Nov '12

Gorgeous, emaxx! When I saw the thumbnail on the forum main page, I had a feeling that would be a post from you. The effect perfectly suits the image IMHO - very atmospheric. Your capture makes me want to head there right now! It really looks so peaceful.

Nick - looks like you've been busy business-wise. Not an easy feat in this day and age for a photog!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '12

Rebecka- You would love it there. Even with other watchers and hikers, it is very serene. A turkey vulture came flying out of a tree near our group. Amazing bird and huge!!!!

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Nov '12

I realize that I am just a *bit* biased, but I don't care - I'm convinced I have the most beautiful niece in the world. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '12

Look at that face!

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '12

So this is the place for nieces?? Cute maybe. But the most beautiful? No, I got that one covered. And not the slightest bit biased either. ;-)

It's the war of the nieces. Bring it on! :-D

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '12

You 2 w in on th enieves but I have it on the grandsons.....

Christine Christine
Dec '12

Very handsome, Christine! Love all the stockings you have hung up.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '12

Latest, published newspaper work:
http://www.nickscaleraphotography.com/published/

New website - http://www.nickscaleraphotography.com/

Dec '12

Nice - a belated "nice work!" I don't know how I missed your posting on this thread weeks ago. You take such great action shots!

Here's an image from this I just had fun playing with (tones and colors adjusted). The watermark on the image is the new name I just chose for my new nature photography website - Gossamer Lark.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '13

As a photographer you sometimes capture that which is beyond your intentions. This photo is one of my favorites. I had the intention of shooting a sunset at Point Mountain in Mansfield... I arrived to find a young couple sitting where I was going to shoot, so I set my tripod behind them. A few uninteresting shots went by, but without the wide panorama- the pictures lacked identity. So I started to shoot wide. As I started, for a few seconds, everything fell into place... This is a composite of the two wide images shot consecutively- one over and one under exposed. It works on so many levels.

I took this picture during the fall.Its of my girlfriend when we where walking on the columbia trail over in long valley.It was taken on my minolta srt 202 with kodak tmax 400 with a yellow filter.

MattVann MattVann
Feb '13

I had to add one of my latest pictures of two of my grandkids taken with my phone. This was a true candid shot and I love it.

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Feb '13

Great sunset pic OP.

Rebecka - Is that a macro pic you've posted? HA! I knew you were a closet macro photographer. Very interesting flower too. What kind of flower is that?

MattVann - Very nice tones in that shot. I need to do some more black and white.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

Love looking at everyone's pics on this thread!! OP - what a pretty, romantic sunset image.

emaxx - I'm not a good macro photog at all. I just sort of liked the way that one came out. The bee is on a thistle which is naturally bright pink, but I adjusted the hue to violet.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '13

A Florida Cormorant, taken back in March 2010. I'm going through my old files to see which images I should include on my new nature photography website. I heard another photog refer to doing this as: "hard drive diving." Love it! When you're snowed in... nothing better than looking at photos taken in bright sun in warm weather.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '13

It was windy, I was cold (and tired from clearing the snow), and no tripod - but the light was perfect.

The new camera has an "dynamic range optimizer" that makes it soooo simple to pull out shadow detail. It's very similar to HDR (but HDR is recommended for tripod shots). DRO is a bit nosier at the higher ISO's (but it was necessary given the wind.)

This bush is starting to become one of my favorite subjects.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

Emaxxman- That's beautiful...and makes me realize I need a lot more practice. I really LOVE that picture.

Nosila Nosila
Feb '13

Absolutely gorgeous, Emaxxman!!

joyful joyful
Feb '13

I was lazy yesterday. Shot the halo around the sun with my phone's HDR mode when I went to clean off the car.

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Feb '13

Thank you Nosila and joyful.

Nosila - I still look at your blog from time to time. You have quite the resume of photos yourself.

I think the compression or rendering on HL is degrading the pics somewhat. That picture of the tree with the snow looks much better on your site.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

Thanks emaxxman! I love shooting film.I shoot mostly 120 now cause it is super cheap to have developed threw walmart.For a color roll its only $1.88 and b&w its like $5.00.Its a secret i like to share haha.I am in the market for a DSLR right now to move the hobby to the next level.I am thinking about the canon t4i.Do any of you guys have a t4i?

MattVann MattVann
Feb '13

I also have a boat load of cameras that i am looking to sell.Not sure if i can post the link in here for the craigslist add.So ill just leave it alone haha.

MattVann MattVann
Feb '13

MV - post the links in the classifieds. If the admins don't like it, they will let you know.

There's a "Photographic Equipment" thread too. Check that out as well. As you can see, lots of photo enthusiasts on this site.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '13

A branch off of my neighbors blooming tree. It's a weeping willow type tree. The tree is beautiful but it was so windy, this was the only shot/angle that I could get a decent composition. I actually clamped a section of the branch to her fence to hold it still.

Shot at around f/11 to keep the background dark; darkened a bit more using "levels" in PS.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '13

Great photos everyone!!

I'm covering a lot of Centenary Lacrosse & HHS Baseball so far this spring, and looking forward to doing macro work soon, not to mention the classic cars & Harleys.

Apr '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.