Hackettstown Collectibles

Hackettstown Collectibles

I found this Hackettstown pennant online and had to have it for my collection and now I am wondering: What would the Indian head stand for? Was there an old camp in the area that maybe have used this as their symbol?

jennymc jennymc
Aug '11

JennyMc: Could it be that the company that made the pennants put that same Indian Chief Head symbol on most of the pennants they manufactured years ago? I remember having several from upstate New York and the Catskills that looked pretty much the same. Maybe not!

joyful joyful
Aug '11

joyful - I can very much confirm that, at one time I can remember having Oneonta, Cobleskill, Watkins Glen, Lake George, and some others. I don't think they limited it to NY either. I remember them from the early 70's.

Re: Hackettstown Collectibles

this is very interesting...what do you want old bottles...paper money from local banks...pennants...over the years I have put together a huge collection...up to and including many old pictures...Hackettstown collectibles turn up all the time on auction sites...but the prices are steep

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Oldman, I stopped collecting as I ran out of room and worse, lost my job - Have you seen the Hackettstown milk bottle on eBay today ?- when I last looked it was over $400 - wish I had a few of those! I sold a ton of Hackettstown stuff and just have a few odds and ends now from Hackettstown - Some bottles, some post cards, Centenary College pennants,
this odd thing in the photo, it's a package holder (I know only because it says it on the item) , it says Compliments of J H Vescelius, the leading Dry Goods and Carpet House, Hackettstown, NJ , patented Oct 23, 1877. Any idea where this store was?

jennymc jennymc
Aug '11

Wow! I said over $400 on the Hackettstown milk bottle up for bid on eBay - the auction is over - it sold for over $700!

jennymc jennymc
Aug '11

jennymc...those milk bottles usually go for over $800 at auction...Weaver mineral springs bottles from Hackettstown go for $700 or more... when they show up for sale...i am always watching ebay...not to mention here and there Hackettstown collectibles show up in flea markets...i have been collecting articles for over 40 years...its good to hear from you...you and I should talk and compare the collections that we have accumulated...i prefer all my merchandise to be in mint condition...thanks again...I have some very nice bottles from the Harvey Brewery

oldman oldman
Aug '11

To comment on the indian head, there must be some relation to the town as the 1931 firetruck also has a indian head painted on it. I have never heard why it on there but Iwill ask some of the older members and see if they know. Joyful maybe your husband has heard over the years.

earnhardt earnhardt
Aug '11

Earnhardt: DH says that he is not sure but most items manufactured back then including firetrucks down to pennants had that Indian Chief Head symbol on them. This may be because all of this and throughout the U.S. at one time was Indian Territory..plus Hackettstown area has many places still with Indian names..i.e: Musconetcong..Tamarack, etc..

joyful joyful
Aug '11

Now if that was a Chiefs Car...... it would explain the Indian Chiefs symbol....Lol!! Seriously, there might be another explanation for this symbol being used..if anyone else has a theory..sure would like to know as well.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

oldman,
Do you know when that last picture that you posted (train tracks) taken?

borninthe60's borninthe60's
Aug '11

1969...i have a complete set of pictures of the Lackawanna line...from that era...all taken in Hackettstown

oldman oldman
Aug '11

My grandfather used to run that old train station and it looks to me like your photo was taken from the very edge of the platform closest to Main St. There was the train station and then a very large wood framed building that stored furniture, etc. that was delivered by the trains. That storage building burned down around 69 or 70 if I remember correctly - I was pretty young. He had a lot of stuff in that building that was lost in the fire.

Aug '11

borninthe60s...2 buddies of mine accidently started the fire that burned down the Blackwoods Express building across from the railroad station...they were smoking underneath the loading dock...and left cigerette butts smoldering...that place burned with a huge black smoke cloud...i still remember it to this day

oldman oldman
Aug '11

heres a better shot of the Blackwoods Express freight house...with the Blackwoods Express truck

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Thanks for the photo, oldman!

Aug '11

I found an old business card in a box lot I purchased years ago at a house auction -
It says "Blackwoods Express, You Call, We Haul" - love their slogan, Transportation Service, hackettstown, NJ
old phone numbers 153Z, 59Z, and 121Y - that precedes the old GA Hackettstown phone
numbers, that I see on some of my other collectibles.

jennymc jennymc
Aug '11

My grandfather started Hackettstown Dairy, which ultimately became known as the Derribar, home of the Pig's Dinner icecream sundae. I have 3 Panther Ledge bottles, although the graphics are different. Will see if there is any value in these bottles.

Quinlan Quinlan
Aug '11

if you have the panther Ledge Dairy bottles with the Panther...and the Baby face...they are the top dollar bottles..the Quart size gets $800.00 prices

oldman oldman
Aug '11

That could be very good that you have different graphics on your milk bottles - maybe the collectors don't have your bottles yet and will be willing to pay good money.
Good Luck!

jennymc jennymc
Aug '11

Please explain Pig's Dinner ice cream Sunday, just curious!

Bessie Bessie
Aug '11

The grapics on these bottles are in orange, a baby's face on one side with a cow's head on the other side, all three are in great condition. Panther Ledge printed in an "arch".

Quinlan Quinlan
Aug '11

Bessie,
A Pig's Dinner consisted of 5 large scoups of ice cream, with 5 toppings, cherries, whip cream, a whole sliced bananna, and was served in a paper lined wooden trough! If the customer finished the sundae they were given a pin which said: I was a pig at the Derribar. Probaly cost 75 cents back then. we also had "all you can eat fish fry on Fridays, $1.25.

Quinlan Quinlan
Aug '11

Bessie heres the story...the Derribar...that was located on rt 46...not far from the Hackettstown diner...had a huge dessert sundae...it was served in a dish shaped like a pig ...trough..therefore if you ate the whole ice cream dish...you were awarded a button that...stated I Made A Pig of Myself at the Derribar

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Sounds like my kind of place, LOL. Thanks for the explanations.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '11

I made a pig of myself at the Derribar...and I have the button to prove it...

oldman oldman
Aug '11

Oldman you have mail=)

Cherie Cherie
Aug '11

The 1931 firetruck was a Segraves the Indian head was their logo. As in Ford /Mustang, Chevy / Impala, Ford / Bronco, Segraves/ Indian.

THE MAN THE MAN
Aug '11

Thanks, The Man, for the explanation of the Indian Chiefs Head logo on the 1931 Firetruck.

joyful joyful
Aug '11

I am writing the first book from the American point of view about 19th century rotunda panoramas.These were the biggest paintings in the world,50 x 400=20,000 square feet, housed in their own rotundas which were 16-sided polygons. Chicago in 1893 had 6 panorama companies and 6 panorama rotundas.

I am researching the name Vescelius
Panoramist Edward James Austen (1850-1930) of London married Rebecca Frances "Frank" Vescelius in South Africa 11-23-1881.

The Vescelius Trio--Anna Louise, Frank and Eva--got their start in the 1870s. Their father was Aaron H. Vescelius and their mother was Mary Ann Miller.

This family is documented in THE EARLY GERMANS OF NEW JERSEY by Hermann Theodore Freylinghuysen Clambers

Louise Vescelius Shelton wrote YANKEE GIRLS IN ZULULAND(1888) illustrated by G.E.Graves after sketches from life by E.J.Austen.Louise also wrote THE SOUL OF AN ORGAN, THE LOST ISLAND, etc

Question: Anthropologist Gary S.Vescelius (1930-1982) is buried in Union Cemetery, Hackettstown, Warren County, New Jersey.

Is he related to family members of the Vescelius Trio?

Gene Meier Gene Meier
Jul '14

Found this thread when researching a very old card my Pop had. Anyone know much about it or have any interest? Thanks!

KatieHigh KatieHigh
Sep '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.