Tree Tavern Pizza

Tree Tavern Pizza

any Tree Tavern Pizza ...fans here...I still like a good old Tree Tavern pizza once in a while...if you cant stand frozen pizza ...stop reading here...they sell these frozen pizzas at local stores...and they are a good example of a good old bar pizza pie you could get by the slice at a good tavern...

oldman oldman
Mar '12

Now there's a memory for me, Oldman..I haven't had one in years, the only kind we ever had when I was a kid. Makes me want to buy one next time I go to Shop Rite. Will let you know if was as good as I remember.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '12

Elios is the best frozen pizza...and it's not even close.

Coach Coach
Mar '12

these were the only frozen pizza we used to buy, were cheap and douse em with a good sprinkling of italian seasoning, very good. dont seem to be as good as they used to be, but maybe its just me .

nonny nonny
Mar '12

It was the only frozen pizza my Mom bought growing up.

Conrad's Mon Conrad's Mon
Mar '12

tree tavern is great pizza,

used to stop by the local market after work and pick one up for .75 cents. pop it into the oven and watch two star trek reruns on channel 11.

oh yeah, stop by the shop rite and pick up a 4 liter of red or white wine for about 4 bucks.

this was good eating and and affordable.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '12

Sometimes it's the memory that's better than the taste, LOL. I do know that Oldman sparked a very nice memory for me while having my coffee.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '12

yep, when they raised the price to .99 cents, i walked past, said "i won't pay it"

couple of weeks later, i was jonesing for tree tavern big time, and found a way to pony up the 99 cents!!

oh yeah the wine was 4 bucks for a gallon size jug, they hadn't converted all of bottles to metric yet, but soon did afterwards.

(hint, 1977ish)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '12

Loved tree tavern pie as a kid. I got one lately and they took the picture off the box of cutting the pie with scizzors I always wanted my mom to cut it with scizzors and she never would.

My mom used to buy us these! Ah the memories!

Antimony Antimony
Mar '12

Old man my dad would buy 6 of them and a bunch of toppings and my cousins would come over and we would have a good time they were the best basic pizza

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Mar '12

Love it! It was the only pizza my parents bought when I was a child. I wrote the company last year because I wanted to find it so bad and couldn't. Thank god for Shop Rite. There's something about their sauce or something.

LivinginHackettstown LivinginHackettstown
Mar '12

@livinginhackettstown...I think it's the simplicity of it, no commericials on TV, no ads in magazines...still chugging along many years later just for the memories alone. You realize it when you read most posts here, it put us all back to our youth. See what you did Oldman...thanks again!

PS I thought some of you might enjoy this....

http://www.treetavernpizza.com/home.html

Bessie Bessie
Mar '12

Interesting - the ingredient list shows Cheddar Cheese not mozzarella! I might have to try one since you are all raving about them. I usually make my own dough and sauce but I might buy one and stick it in the freezer in case I don't feel like cooking. Are they still $0.99? :)

Jackie Jackie
Mar '12

The kids love Digiorno frozen pizza...I grew up with Ellio's as a kid.

Now you've got me curious with Tree Tavern! I'm going to get a box next time I'm in Shoprite.

I grew up in Paterson and we use to stop at the Tree Tavern after our basketball games at school #5. It was on the corner of Crosby and Totowa Aves. Bar and dining area up front and bigger dining area in the back if I remember right. Always good food and it was always busy.

Old Cop
Mar '12

Tree Tavern fans...heat up the oven first...place the frozen pizza on a pizza pan...sprinkle the cheese with olive oil...bake for 15 minutes...more or less...let it sit...and then enjoy...an absolute delight

oldman oldman
Mar '12

We weren't allowed to have frozen pizza growing up. My dad would have had a cow. I do remember having this pizza over at my Polish friend's house. LOL I remember we liked it as kids. Haven't had it in about 30 years.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '12

Tree Tavern Pizza Memories: The year was 1967 and also many years beyond.....just after my college years. Every Sunday night my friend would visit our house to share the following. "Mission: Impossible" was on TV. Two "Tree Tavern Pizzas" with olive oil and Italian seasoning were always in line for one-at-a-time to be baked in the oven. Schmidt's beer was the drink of choice. "It was the BEST of times."

Looks like Shop Rite is going to have a rush on people this week buying up the Tree Tavern Pizzas.

Joyful Joyful
Mar '12

My husband buys it all the time, I never ate this when I was kid. My Nonna would have freaked out. I don't care for it at all.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Mar '12

Re: Tree Tavern Pizza

I'll put in a good word for Shoprite's imported from Italy line of frozen pizza. I had the Margherita Pizza. Impressive I thought for store brand. It was onsale last week for $2.99. I wish I had stocked up!

The cashier ringing me up last week was raving about their Goat Cheese pie:
http://www.shoprite.com/pd/ShopRite/Imported-Goat-Cheese-Pizza/14-oz/041190406241/

I believe they offer three varieties: four cheese, margherita and goat cheese.

I thought I was the only one that liked tree tavern pizza years ago. Great snack food. Now I have to go out and buy one to see if it tastes like I remember...mmmmmm

boobalaa boobalaa
Apr '12

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Shoprite's imported pizzas. Last week we stocked up & now there's room for nothing else in our freezer. We eat at least a couple a week.

Tree Tavern Pizza's will always hold a special place in my tastebuds. I have one a couple of times a year - just for nostalgia's sake.

Slade Slade
Apr '12

I'm going to try this SR imported pizza now. Going there today, will get one or two. We don't eat frozen pizza often, but I like to keep one or two on hand for a lazy Sunday. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

Calico - I keep them on hand for a lazy ME!

BTW- I dribble olive oil & a bit of Italian seasoning over the pie before baking.

Slade Slade
Apr '12

Slade-those Shoprite pizzas are awesome! Love the goat cheese ones. Was thinking about trying a Tree Tavern, Shoprite has them, but for the size, $5 seems a bit pricey.

Regarding the SR imported pizzas. How big are they? We usually get the DiGiorno rising crust or Freschetta naturally rising and they are enough for two. Are they that size or more personal sized?

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

I totally forget to buy that pizza last week when it was on sale at Shoprite. What's the normal price?

Tracy Tracy
Apr '12

Calico, I'd say they are in between personal and large. You'd probably need two fro two people(at least we do!) but they are on sale right now for only $3!

Tracy-the normal price is $4.99

Slade Slade
Apr '12

I am in with you on the good tasting Tree Tavern Pizza. They remind me of simple bar pizzas;I recall one tasting exactly like Tree Tavern Pizza at the Causeway Bar on LBI in the 70s. I do not see them in the stores in Philadelphia.
Thanx for a putting a smile on my face today.

Bob R.
Apr '12

Thanks Jams. I was hoping that would be the answer. I love goat cheese, but my husband doesn't. I'll get a plain and a goat cheese then. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

I hope you enjoy them Calico. I have to run up to get some before the sale is over. Wish I had a bigger freezer!!

Jams-I was in Shop Rite (Byram) today and they were NOT on sale. So sad ;-(

Slade Slade
Apr '12

Yeah, I thought the sale was last week. Thanks, Slade.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '12

DiGiorno Pizza is on sale next week at ShopRite - $4.47

BLD2
Apr '12

OK ,So next week it's DiGiorno Flatbread Pizza (If they have em.Hard to find)

Longhorn Longhorn
Apr '12

Tree Tavern - a great childhood memory. Starting buying it again after switching grocery stores just to buy it. LOL. It does remind me of a good bar pizza now that I'm older, but we never bought another kind when I was a kid. Love it, love it!

Thanks oldman for posting about it.

LivinginHackettstown LivinginHackettstown
Apr '12

Not on sale, so I didn't buy them. They were $4.99 each, so two would have been $9.98. Instead I bought the freschetta one for $4.99. One of those is big enough for both of us. Will try the other, next time it's on sale.

BTW - The shop from home page said they were on sale for $3 and change, but the store price was $4.99. What's up with that?

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

Rats. I was hoping to get some more. I got them at the Washington Shoprite, maybe they're still on sale there? I'm going to call tomorrow!

Re: Tree Tavern Pizza

Digiorno pizza 3 pack at Sam's Club $12.48. Didn't mean to hijack the Tree Tavern thread

thehazguy thehazguy
Apr '12

Jams - Washington is where I shop. They were $4.99.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '12

Oh, thanks for letting me know Calico! Just as well, I shoudn't be eating that much pizza!

Concerning the Shoprite imported pizza, yes the sale was last week. I also checked the Wharton Shoprite yesterday to see if the sale hopefully was extended another week on them at $3 but no dice...price back up to $5 :-(

Attention DiGiorno fans and Costco. Don't forget until May 6 Costco has a $3.50 off coupon for the DiGiorno 3 packs which puts the price at around $9 and change I believe. Nice part is there's no quantity limit on the coupon.

http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePage.aspx?ProductNo=11682988

If you didn't get a coupon booklet in the mail by now see Costco's customer service desk. They usually have extra coupon books there.

@Vic..Costco is just sounding better and better to me, nice to have customer service provide coupons if you didn't get them.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '12

Nice thing about these pizzas are that you can pronounce all the names of the ingredients.

Skipper Skipper
Apr '12

Skipper - DiGiorno lists as an ingredient "sodium stearoyl lactylate". And Tree Tavern uses "modified food starch" which if they said which specific one you would not want to try to say it. All natural and non-artificial doesn't guarantee pronouncability. ;-)

Shoprite imported pizza is back in the spotlight this week for as low as 99 cents *BUT* as part of a bundle deal with Dove Novelties ice cream bars. Kinda odd deal combination IMO. Sale price this week on the pizza without the Dove offer is $3.99.

http://www.shoprite.com/pd/Dove-Bar/Vanilla-with-Milk-Chocolate/8-67-oz/047677391284/

Deal is as follows: Buy any 2 Dove Novelties ice cream bars (2 for $6) and instantly receive $3 off the purchase of any Shoprite imported pizza which would then make it 99 cents.

Also for those interested, a sneak peak at next week's Shoprite sales circular that starts Sunday 8/19 is below:
http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com/shoprite-preview-ad

Vic..don't you just love Living Rich with Coupons..best site ever! Will have to take advantage of that deal since I also have Dove coupons, hope the shower soap is included in the 2/$6.00. Thanks for the heads up on the deal.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '12

Mama Cozzi's 22 oz. frozon pizza from Aldi's in Rockaway...any variety for $1.99...its the best frozen pizza.

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Aug '12

Yay... London Broil's on sale again...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '12

SHOP-RITE meat stinks,tastes strange.Sussex meats is were you need to go in wharton.

Taken away
Aug '12

I remember the old Tree Tavern in Paterson, just under, or near the railroad bridge. They had a very nice pizza, and, as I remember a great london broil sandwich.

olddakej olddakej
Aug '12

Crosby Avenue in Paterson, according to the website. Now in Wanaque.

http://treetavern.com/aboutus.html

olddakej olddakej
Aug '12

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.