Roads 1/27

Rt 57 clear. Black top

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jan '15

How is 517 and I-80? I have to drive on them to get to work soon! Ergh...

checkonetwo checkonetwo
Jan '15

checkonetwo - I haven't been out, but on my side road I can see the blacktop. Being that it didn't snow overnight I would assume you should be good.

brown bear
Jan '15

Route 517 from Hackettstown to Whitehouse is just wet. I was the only person on the road at 8:15am.

happycamper happycamper
Jan '15

I will say one thing!
With the little snow dusting WE got, the roads should be immaculately clean.

Embryodad Embryodad
Jan '15

Bryan

Just because you might be wondering how your old "hood" is doing:-) Hopatcong's main roads are relatively clear with a bit of slush (well OK, I mean Durban - not sure of others), but the side roads, including mine still have a coating and haven't been cleared fully side to side. I did just hear a plow go up the street that will probably perversely try to play soccer with my cones on its way down, but that's the usual story.

It is still snowing up here too, but very lightly, with an accumulation of about 1/2 inch in an hour of two.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

Embryodad

While watching News 2, I've been surprised that they've showed many roads in Nassau & Suffolk counties that are down to pavement, when they got hit worse than us, but even NYC was shown to have plows pushing snow right next to an intersection and main streets like 42nd not be cleared and a good number of "East Side" and other residents annoyed that with a travel ban in place they couldn't get a better job done. That's with the tremendous amount of equipment they have at their disposal and being "personally supervised by the mayor" (who was 20 mins. late for his own press conference in his own "home"). Their efforts were also guided by GPS enabled (and tracked, I believe they said) to guide them for most effective work.

You'd think with the power of computers available today, algorithms could be created that would allow for the most effective routing of plows from their base to clear roads in the most energy and time efficient manner possible. Darn, I wish I'd been forward thinking enough to major in Computer Science, rather than Geology. As it was, I did have to take CompSci classes, but considering the College computer took up the whole basement of the Math building, we didn't appreciate it as much as we could have, though I was already seeing its possibilities with Geologic Maps and modelling..

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '15

I took Rt.519 from Mt.Lake all the way to Easton at 11a- the biggest "hazard" was all the sand and grit that is now on the almost dry road!

You hit that stuff just wrong, you can slide a bit- but I am glad they put it out- last nights drive along the same route was pretty safe because of it.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jan '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.