Clean up after your Pup! - Riverfront park

We are so lucky to have Doctors park in Hackettstown. I don't know why it is so hard for people to clean up after your dogs. It's common courtesy. We have all forgotten our doggie poop bags once, there is too much around the park for this to be the reason. The amount is enormous at the park and disgusting. Clean up at the park or wherever you are after your dog, it's not hard!

Htown 2004
Mar '22

It also a problem for the dogs. You don’t want to know how many parasites they can pick up! Then they lick you on the face! Yuk!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '22

Riverfront Park?

Jim KIng
Mar '22

Htown 2004- I'm glad you posted this today. I have noticed a huge increase in the inconsiderate slobs doing this at Riverfront Park. It is unbelievable since at both entrances either Seber road or at Alumni field, there are doggie bag stations with bags available. To make matters worse it appears that much of the mess is along the track that circles the main fields WHERE PREDOMINATLY OUR CHILDREN PLAY!

I see someone keeps marking the piles with sticks to make point. There was at least 25 piles I saw on Saturday. As discussed here on this forum before I wish there were trail cameras or simple surveillance cameras in place to record these dirtbags so they can be fined. I would not blame the rec department and or the town if dogs were banned from there. I was thinking ban all pets. The only way back in is to have people purchase a permit to walk a pet there. Then the rules would be conveyed in writing and maybe just maybe, because now it cost money for the privilege to walk a pet there, people will obey the rules and conduct themselves with COMMON COURTESY.

I have noticed this as well, it’s really becoming a problem. Please also remember to leash your dogs!

Inconsiderate dog owners will ruin it for everyone- they will stop allowing dogs at the park. But then, the inconsiderates will likely just take their dogs anyway- because they don't give a sh1t. (insert jokes here lol)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '22

Yes remember to keep those dogs leashed …I’m more concerned about the unleashed dogs than the poop ! And yet there’s signs posted !

Sadly, it's not only Riverfront. I'm a dog walker and I'm amazed how many developments are full of it as well...they don't even care to keep their OWN environment clean! And it goes hand-in-hand with unleashed dogs that are running 15 ft ahead or behind the owner--dog poops, owners are nowhere near to clean up. There have been repeat offenders I have seen; I usually offer them a bag to clean it up!

Brenda Brenda
Mar '22

It is in every neighborhood all o error town too. Disgusting pet owners. Be responsible.

Nothard
Mar '22

*over

Nothard
Mar '22

It’s absolutely horrible what a shame some folks ruin it for others

Gus B Gus B
Mar '22

What’s the issue with dogs off leash? Curious.

Sacks cousin
Mar '22

You cannot predict what your dog will do. I had an off-leash dog, in my neighborhood, attack my leashed dog on a walk. The unleashed dog was on his property, but left his property to come out into the street and attack my dog. He DID bite him, luckily is was minor. But I probably could have contacted animal control and had that dog destroyed.

Good thing I'm a dog lover. What I really wanted to do was beat the owner's ass for not controlling his dog. YOU CANNOT PREDICT WHAT YOUR DOG MIGHT DO.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Mar '22

1+ JR.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '22

Similar conditions at “Field of Dreams”.
Just a small minority of owners, but very inconsiderate.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '22

Why leash your dog? Little kids, other dogs on leashes, wildlife, etc etc. I’ve been attacked by an off leash dog, my elderly father has been attacked by an off leash dog, my late dog was attacked by an off leash dog. All in parks with clearly posted leash rules. It happens literally all the time. There is absolutely no reason to have your dog off leash in any public place that isn’t a clearly designated dog park.

Like JR my dog was attacked by an off leash dog as we were walking by their property with my dog on leash. My dog had to go under anesthesia and have stitches and drains put in and needed pain meds and antibiotics as well. Total vet bill was around $750, thankfully the other dog's owner reimbursed me. We were both very anxious when we would encounter other unleashed dogs after that and my dog would no longer walk past that property.

On the flip side, your unleashed dog may be friendly, but how do you know the leashed dog he/she runs up to meet is friendly. That dog may be aggressive towards other dogs, but the owner is keeping their dog under control. Thing is, even dogs that aren't aggressive are at a disadvantage if they are leashed and an unleashed dog runs up to them and may attack out because they are vulnerable.

Lynnada Lynnada
Mar '22

“ What’s the issue with dogs off leash?” The fact that you’re asking this question is the problem.

Consigliere
Mar '22

I know some people from Independence Township that instead of walking their dog at Field of Dreams Park they come to Riverfront.
The solution is NO Dogs Allowed!

Hotdogchili Hotdogchili
Mar '22

Thanks for the replies. I don’t walk in dog parks so I didn’t know. I’ve seen people in my neighborhood with dogs and no leash but the dog doesn’t leave their side. Figured it was ok.

Consigliere You’re nasty. Try decaf.

Sacks cousin
Mar '22

Same problem at Union Cemetery in Hackettstown. People walk there dogs there & Some chose not to pick after their pet. A few lazy losers around.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Mar '22

Sacks cousin- your error is classifying them as “dog parks”.
These are public parks where dogs are allowed- the rules being that dogs are leashed and their owners clean up after them.
Not only the LAW but also common courtesy.
Same reason we don’t come over to your residence and crap on your lawn.

Stymie Stymie
Mar '22

I have called the police on people with unleashed dogs and they don't come. A dog attack is a serious issue. Especially with little children around. I believe walking your dog off the leash is just as inconsiderate as not picking up the poop. I walk my dogs with plenty of bags in tow and on the leash.

4MommyNJ
Mar '22

My guess is those dogs and dog owners are from Warren Hills. Hackettstown residents always pick up after themselves.

danny zucko danny zucko
Mar '22

Keep those dogs leashed ….I encountered another one on Sunday morning ! I told him that there’s signs posted and his response was the park is empty nobody is here ! Leash up and clean up….that is all !! Very simple…

Dogs don’t go to Warren Hills.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '22

Best to keep your dog on a leash. I always think about that teen mom show when that girl's dog got outside and was eaten by the neighbor's dog. The neighbor's dog was actually on a leash and her's was not so nothing could be done about it. As for the poop, I'd say bring a shovel and launch the steamers at the pet owners but the police might actually show up for that one...

Animallove Animallove
Mar '22

Steamers. Lol.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '22

I was literally leaning on the sign that states dogs must be leashed and clean up after your dog near the Alumni side by the area they took down the old structure last year while I filmed a guy with 2 dogs. A white one on leash and the other brown one free ranging. Not a bag in site but it may have been in his pocket unused but eh I doubt it. This was around 12:30 this afternoon. The park was far from empty today....

If you don`t want to clean up after your dog,leave it home in your own yard...

Re: Clean up after your Pup! - Riverfront park

You are being watched …..

Excellent! I hadn't noticed that sign. I have seen cameras recently though.

Someone many years ago at the Field of Dreams let there dog crap near where the cars park, but not near theirs. They then went for their walk. I had just arrived to coach my team. I found something in my car to pick it up with. Then I proceeded to the owners car and dropped it right by the drivers door. I don't know if they learned a lesson or not, but it gave me great satisfaction and a good laugh out of my team.

Magpie Magpie
Mar '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Clean up after your Pup! - Riverfront park
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.