my friend just watched a woman get hit by a car near hospital

She said the woman was unconcious.. I'm praying for her :(

htownparent
Mar '11

holy crap

Metsman
Mar '11

My wife told me someone got hit on Route 57 by Lawrence Drive, too.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '11

It was bike vs. car on 57.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '11

Oof-is that what happened on 57??? I saw the activity before, it looked bad evenfrom far away. I'll pray for the best....

2Cents 2Cents
Mar '11

Was it a "cyclist"-the ones who wear the professional clothes, or just a regular bike rider? Some of them ride against traffic and wear dark clothes making it so hard to see them

OMG, you guys! That's how my Dad was killed - bike v. car. He was training for a big race down to Monterey in the canyons of California and was hit by a car (drunk driver who fled the scene). My Dad didn't have any ID on him and was a John Doe at the morgue. It took days to find him and it was right before Thanksgiving. This just brought it all back to me. Ughhhh!

I hope everyone in today's accident is okay - gosh, all my hair stood up when I read bike v. car.

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Mar '11

Me too happy-my daughter is an avid cyclist and she was hit a few years ago on Rt. 206, luckily was ok but i always worry... so sorry to hear about your father, that must have been horrible. :(

hppy2bhere - I am so sorry about your father. That must have been a nightmare.

I hope everyone in today's accidents are okay.

Aquarius
Mar '11

Oops I misread the text my friend was going to the hospital and she watched the woman get hit on 57 sheesh I'm fried.

htownparent
Mar '11

Does anyone have any new information on this poor woman. My girlfriend was waiting in the line of traffic after accident and is so concerned. Hope she is going to be able to recover.

MelissaM MelissaM
Mar '11

I saw this happen myself! I was about 5 cars back when it happened! When i finally went through she was conscious and talking to the people around her. I wanted to stay and try to help but there was a lot of people there and I didn't want to get in the way of the EMT's.

Worried
Mar '11

This was on HPD's facebook page

On 3/1/11 at approx 1:10PM the Hackettstown Police and the Hackettstown Rescue Squad responded to RT57 and Lawrence Dr for a report of struck bicyclist. When officers arrived on scene they observed a female lying on the ground conscious and alert. Through an investigation it was determined that 73yro Karl Weber of Hackettstown, NJ was stopped at the stopped sign at Lawrence Dr and RT57. Karl then attempted to make a right hand turn onto RT57 west and that’s when he struck the bicyclist, 33yro Alison Miller of Hackettstown, NJ, who was riding east in the westbound shoulder. Karl stated he never saw the bicyclist prior to making the turn. Alison complained of a head injury and a leg injury. Alison was then transported to Hackettstown Regional Medical Center by the Hackettstown Rescue Squad and was then airlifted to Morristown Memorial Hospital by AIR 1. Karl was not injured. No summonses were issued. RT57 westbound was closed for approx 1hour. Assisting at the scene was the Saint Claire’s medic unit.

jrsemom jrsemom
Mar '11

Gosh, I hope she'll be ok. Wonder why she was riding eastbound on the westbound side of the road? I thought that you are supposed to cycle in the same direction as traffic.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '11

You are supposed to ride with traffic, and that makes it very hard to see and have time to react to a cyclist riding towards you,as opposed to one riding with traffic. That's probably why the driver wasn't issued a summons. Cyclists-obey motor vehicle laws(which you're required to), wear brightly colored clothing and helmets, blinking lights if you have them, and don't wear headphones. Motorists, share the road with cyclists and give them a wide berth when you can.

Yes you are supposed to ride with the traffic. Very scary I'm sure. When I lived at Village Green, I used to hop onto rt. 46 and then ride through the Trade Zone to Waterloo Village.

The traffic on rt. 46 (rush hour) and in the TZ got scary often. That's why I tried to go off-trail as much as I could.

I hope she makes a full recovery. WEAR BIKE HELMETS PLEASE!

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '11

how to not get hit by cars:
www.bicyclesafe.com

DEANSANG DEANSANG
Mar '11

Good posting Dean. Can't be too careful!

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2011/03/hackettstown_bicyclist_struck.html

recent update on this.

Casey Casey
Mar '11

Cycling in traffic, like alot of things in life is a skill set.

I'm an experienced cyclist and riding rt. 57 in that area is not particularly easy or even fun, but it does not have to be a very scary thing to do either. I've ridden it probably more than 100 times safely without too many incidents. It takes practice. I sometimes like to say that I 'drive my bike'.

It is counterintuitive to many people that cycling against traffic is far more dangerous that riding with traffic. Think of the right turning car in this case, the driver is at a stop, looking left for an opening to make his turn. A cyclist coming at him, against traffic, comes at the car driver on his right. The right is not on his radar, he will not see the cyclist. Boom. Everywhere there is a turning car.... a driveway, entrance, exit, parking lot, and sidestreet has the potential for auto's not to see a wrong way cyclist.

I am glad to see this lady was released from the hospital.

frequent walker frequent walker
Mar '11

Thanks, Jams and Aquarius - I really appreciate your posts. It just hit me in the gut when I read that yesterday. And, yes, cyclists need to ride *with* the traffic. I wish her a speedy recovery.

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Mar '11

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20110302/NJNEWS01/110302007/Bicyclist-airlifted-Morristown-Memorial-after-Hackettstown-crash?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Mar '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.