Palisades Amusement Park

Palisades Amusement Park

i never made it to this amusement park...i had to settle for Bertrands Island...but their ads were all over the TV and radio...anyone have memories... http://youtu.be/dkNVwV5zquM

oldman oldman
May '11

we us to go all the time....I vividely rember the tickets of all things.....
i remember we wore them around our necks and they use a paper punch it every time I went on a ride... i think they were pink.... the stuff we remember...lol

dismom dismom
May '11

I used to live in Hudson County and my parents would take me there. I remeber when they tore it down. It was traumatic to a little kid but the next thing I remember is that they built Great Adventure and we started going there.

My grandmother would take us swimming @ Lake Hopatcong and then take us to Bertrands Island.

Another memory is visiting my aunt in Great Meadows....we would go to Mt. Lake to swim and then go to an arcade that was just down the street from the beach.

Boy, times have changed and I'm not sure its been for the better.

summerhelp summerhelp
May '11

Grew up going to Palisades Amusement Park. Loved the funhouse....My Dad won a live canary pitching balls against the lead bottles.

midnightgardener1 midnightgardener1
May '11

summerhelp, grew up in Hudson County in my early childhood, remember Union City the best. Lived on a tree line street with our own park on the street, had a corner store that sold penny candy.
Down a few streets from me was the indoor ice skating rink, pony track and trampoline courts in Weehawkin.
I too swam in Mountain Lake. Yes times have changed, not liking it all that much myself.

midnightgardener1 midnightgardener1
May '11

Spent many a time at Palisades during the school years. Normally had 2 or 3 car loads, w and w/out famiily. Bertrands Island, rarely missed a Monday Nickle Nite, Edie and Clara Arnitz of Allen Rd, had relatives that operated many of the rides. First ride for a nickle, keep seat (!) until had enough. Supper, nickle hot dog or dime burger w/nickle coke. To live again, you readers will NEVER have it so good.

0ldsoldier 0ldsoldier
May '11

Mtn Lk was the summer place, during 30's. Most of P'Burg residents had interests in camp sites. Fore runner of condominions or time shares! Greatest swimming, albeit COLD spring fed crystal clear water. Fish for daily breakfast. Also Lk Hopatcong, cabin app 1/2 mi from Bertrands Island,still in use. Thats living, not just the past.

0ldsoldier 0ldsoldier
May '11

My favorite place as a kid. Loved the glass maze. The funhouse was tremendous, with the tilting rooms, spinning tunnels, and shifting staircases. Kids will never have a chance to enjoy places like that now. One big law suit waiting to happen in our current law suit happy society.

Denis Denis
May '11

If you remember Palisades Amusment park Fun house you will see the big cats that stood outside it at the driveway of a house on Petersburg Road. I heard they got them at an auction from there, really cool to have them here.

GMmom GMmom
May '11

Forum Friends-
We spent many a wonderful day at PP do you remember the old song by freddy canon about palisades park! it was a big hit back in the day. They had a salt water swimming pool, live music,and so much more. The round up was my favorite. The thought of that now makes me want to lie down! lol. Oh for those innocent fun days--i love those cats on Water Street

blitz blitz
May '11

Used to make an annual trip. Didn't they have the Little Miss America pageant there? My sisters used to tease me that I could never be in it because I always had boo boo legs.

blackcat blackcat
May '11

Best Place Ever. As a kid growing up in Fort Lee, we were at the Park several days a week. Swimming in the salt water, wave pool during the morning, rides during the afternoon and top name entertainment every weekend. If you are interested, check out: Palisades Park.com. It is maintained by the Palisades Amusement Park Historical Society. There are videos and enough info to wish there were there again! Have Fun!

USAfirst USAfirst
May '11

Growing up in Hoboken, Palisades Park was a part of life. Who could forget that rickety wooden roller coaster, I loved it! Loved the fresh lemonade and french fries, we hardly ever went to the pool though. Once I was a little older, 14 or so, friends and I were allowed to take the bus, change at Nungessers, and on to Palisades Park. Such a wonderful memory! Thanks for sharing your! By the way Denis, that glass maze traumatized me, I was just telling someone about it not too long ago. I was about 9 or 10 and went in it and couldn't get out, never forgot that and would never go in anything like it again, LOL.

Bessie Bessie
May '11

Wasn't there a bear in a cage in the actual park along the Hudson ?

BobR. BobR.
May '11

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.