Quinceanera Gift

We are attending my first quinceanera next month. The birthday girl is the daughter of a co-worker of my husbands. Neither of us know her and wondered what would be an appropriate gift to give?
This event is also taking place at night - does that mean we need to dress more formal?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '18

What is Quinceanera? Is it a fancy sweet sixteen party? Sorry, too lazy to Google. Lol

positive positive
Jul '18

It's a 15th birthday celebration for a young girl in Latin American culture. Give money can never go wrong with a money gift.

Yes, I agree with Don. I went to a sweet sixteen (pretty sure it's like a Quinceanera) a few years ago. It was almost as formal and fancy as a wedding. I treated it as such and gave money and wore a fancy dress.

positive positive
Jul '18

Money, money.....money. And yes, I would dress up.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

Sorry, but I don't believe in these parties. What is so special about someone turning 15 or 16..?!?! If anything it should be a party for the parents to get money, since they are the ones paying for these kids that want EVERYTHING!

UmmNO
Jul '18

My daughter's sixteenth birthday consisted of a sleepover and pizza. Lol!

To each his own I guess.

positive positive
Jul '18

Pizza and a Sleepover...sounds like my typical Friday night. HaHa

I like it!!! <3

UmmNO
Jul '18

A gift card in an amount you feel comfortable or a gift basket with toiletries she'll appreciate. That's what we give to quince girls and Sweet 16's. Let them enjoy being young.

A Quinceanera is like a wedding for a 15 yr old. Probably similar to a Bar or Bat Mitzvah. I recently attended a Bat Mitzvah and it was at a banquet hall with a sit-down dinner. I would say a gift of cash or gift card of $40-100 would be okay depending on your budget. I wore a black dress to the party, some people dressed semi-formal, but I would say wedding attire, all the men were in suits, the boys in shirts and ties. All the girls in dresses, the guest of honor will have a fancy dress.

A young lady that is celebrating her quinceanera is now allowed to wear dangling earrings, not just studs.

With my 2 nieces I was the aunt that presented these to her.
While her father presented her with higher heeled shoes.
There were other symbols (gifts) given.

Wendy

wbeleno wbeleno
Jul '18

Mine too positive. My cousins 2 daughters had sweet sixteen parties. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Just like a wedding. Even had a "court". 8 girls, 8 boys. SMH!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jul '18

Yes, these parties are a little over the top for my taste as well. But, what can you do?

My Sweet Sixteen was at a Moose Lodge with family and about a dozen friends. We had pizza and salad and played cassettes on a boom box. I'm sure it would have been in the backyard if my birthday was not in the winter.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

This meant more when women were expected to marry at 18 or 20

Older Mom Older Mom
Jul '18

And a bar mitzvah meant more when a boy was expected to marry at 15 or 16.

PublicExplosionBeef PublicExplosionBeef
Aug '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.