2019 Motor Madness - 25th year

2019 Motor Madness - 25th year

Nice event. Got pretty warm out but a nice day, Cars were coming in all day. Plenty of spectators as well. Could use a few more food vendors for the large crowd. Not bashing just an observation. This was the 25th year. Took my 57 Chevy.

thehazguy thehazguy
May '19

Re: 2019 Motor Madness - 25th year

Another pic

thehazguy thehazguy
May '19

I was there also, great day and turnout! I have gone as an exhibitor of my cars since 2008. The Hackettstown Rotary does a consistent good job on this event year after year. Doc South played the tunes, WRNJ did their remotes from the event and everyone looked happy to me.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
May '19

thehazguy

I've never ended up being free for that event unfortunately, though I've hit Lead East several times. Thanks for the pic of the truck! It's fabulous!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

It was a nice show this year for sure.The sun roasted me nicely! Of course as usual Doc South did a great job. We are very lucky to be able to enjoy something like this as well as the parade and ceremony all in the same weekend. The Rotary, and American Legion as well as all of the volunteers and sponsors really deserve great thanks for allowing the entire community to enjoy such a weekend.

I heard a live segment at 10:00 that morning where the young lady from WRNJ interviewed a Jeff I think she said his name was. The opening was something along the lines of the very frequent poster on Hackettstown Life. Awesome! He has a mustang convertible and another mid 60's Ford sedan- I don't recall what model.

I was listening to the president of the rotary speak about the event today on WRNJ. She was stating that they had 300 plus cars pre-registered and many many more roll in the day of the show. I think it was one of the best turn outs in recent memory.

Good times!.

This looks like a mid 60’s Ford sedan- perhaps a clue? Apparently rotary wireless phone service was available...

May '19

I’m going with 1966 Ford Galaxie...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '19

LTD...

justintime justintime
May '19

Nice! I'm a bit fuzzy on telling the 66 LTD from the Galaxie. Naturally they are very close but I know separate lines that year. I can't make out the badge on the tail there. Nice whip!

If that phone was red we could call Batman!!

there sure were some beauties there - especially my neighbor's spectacular red vet...no this isn't it

4catmom 4catmom
May '19

Mark Mc. and justintime could both be correct.

In 1966, the LTD was the top of the line model of the Galaxie 500, as in the "Limited" version. The LTD didn't come out as a separate car/name until later.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

It is confusing with the LTD and Galaxie for sure. My buddy had one when we were kids.We converted his to a 4 speed car. I remember something about the different lines.

From Wiki:

In 1966, the LTD series became completely separate from the Galaxie 500, which continued as the mid-line offering (the performance-oriented Galaxie 500 XL shared top billing with the LTD). The Twin Comfort Lounge Seat (a split bench seat) was a new option.

Now not to disparage the Galaxie or LTD but give me a 1964 Fairlane Thunderbolt with the 427. 4 speed. What a car.I believe there was a black tribute at MM Monday.

As an aside, I learned to drive (mainly) in a 1972 LTD convertible. Killer car. I say mainly because there may have been a few nights my fathers car took a spin after he went to sleep! Allegedly that is. LOL

My buddy and I used to "borrow" his stepfather's Ford Galaxie 500 late at night and drive it all over town when we were 14 or so. The thing was approximately the size of the Queen Mary... I think it was a '72 or '73.

ianimal ianimal
May '19

The Thunderbolt, yes, that was probably one of the top performance cars that Ford put out in the mid 60's. That must have been a heck of a ride- your lucky to have driven one Greg.

The LTD name plate truly loses any connection to the Galaxie brand in 1967, when it was solely marketed as an LTD and referred to in the shop manuals as an LTD.

Though you certainly can find sales literature that Ford put out in 1966 with the LTD being its' own model, it is that gray area that gets removed for the '67 model year.

I have the official Ford Shop manual for 1966 Ford and Mercury models, the official Ford publication published in August of 1965. The body style 60, which the car in the pic has, is referred to as a "Galaxie 500 Lt'd Body Type 57F 4 Door fastback"

That is straight from Ford in August of 1965, when the first printing issue that I have was produced.

Now, I don't quite understand why they consider it a "fastback", when clearly it is a Sedan, but that is what Ford at the time labelled it.

The 1966 LTD in the picture- certainly is in this gray area. I know a little bit about it, I am the owner ;) (good catch Justintime, most think it is a Galaxie)

I am taking the car to the All Ford Nationals starting this week, in Carlisle PA and I register the car with the cars it is akin to- the Galaxie class. The All Ford Nationals team tried to put me into the LTD class, which there is a separate class for, but I stated my case with them and they agreed, 66 is a gray area year. (so, I get to sit with the friends that I know from the Galaxie clubs that I met last year).

I am partial to the Ford brand, I have another '66, a Mustang convertible, pictured here.

Hmm... sounds very close to what that guy on WRNJ that was interviewed at the Mem Motor Madness show said he had.... maybe more clues....

May '19

Dash plaque

thehazguy thehazguy
May '19

Corvette row

thehazguy thehazguy
May '19

The Rhyme Animal

Thanks for the clarification. It does say "Galaxie" on the left rear too, doesn't it? My Ford literature was saying the same as you stated. The LTD having the 200+ hp 289 from what I recall too. The Thunderbolt was always one of my favorites too, though I have to admit I love the Falcon and Comet "mini" versions of the T'bolt. That fastback thing is a bit funny, but then, Ford does have their own way of doing things sometimes. We had a '62 Red Galaxie at one time. Rode nice and took us on many a trip when I was a kid.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

Phil D.- I can tell your a true car guy.

I actually really think just about any product Ford put out in the 60's is pretty cool- and those old Falcon's and Comet's were good cars. They came with V8 260 motors up until about '66, when the 289 V8 appeared.

My 66 LTD, the only badging it has on it are 2 "LTD" crown logos on the rear pillars near the rear window and a LTD crown plastic insert on the trunk under the FORD lettering.

They actually made a 2 door fastback looking version of the LTD, which is somewhat rare. Even more rare, which I will be seeing at the Carlisle show this weekend, is the '66 Ford Galaxie 7 Litre. That is one hot car. Jay Leno has a whole episode on the Jay Leno Garage program that you can find on YouTube, it is very good watching.

I have the 352 engine in mine, so my badging on the lower front fenders has the blue "352" badges. 1966 was the last year you could get a 352 engine in a Ford passenger car, they pretty much just put it in trucks after that. Your step up then from the 289 V8 was the V8 390 engine. I only wish I had the red "390" badging ,then I would have a real sleeper!

Good to talk cars with you guys here. I know on HL we have a bunch of car people who come out when the subject arises.

May '19

The Rhyme Animal

That 7 Liter Galaxie is awesome! I think that 352 with a Paxton was optional in some earlier T'Birds, wasn't it? Yeah that 390 would be super!

I don't know if you're aware of this website:

https://www.imcdb.org/

but it's the movie database of cars. You can look up a movie & you can find what cars appeared in that movie, or a particular car and find what movies that car appeared in and how important or visible it was in the movie. You can either check your eye if you think you spotted something unusual or rare in a movie or you can see what movies featured your favorite car or cars.

I admit to being somewhat of a Ford fan. Our family has owned mostly them after my Dad went to a Chevy dealer in the 50's to trade in his Chevy Truck that didn't have enough power to pull trailers. He told the dealer that the Ford dealer had a similar model with more features and wanted to haggle a bit on the price because of that. The Chevy dealer told him to "just go buy the Ford then". He did and never bought a Chevy again with the exception of our Opel Kadett Wagon, which of course was a "European Chevy", so to speak. I remember being 12 helping him replace the U joints on the driveshaft in our small Rambler American Wagon. Fun times!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.