eye glasses

So where is a good place to go for new glasses, I have a prescription already just looking for a place that is good that won't break the bank. TIA

Pumpkin43 Pumpkin43
Feb '22

I have been buying online the thru glassesusa.com I have been very happy with their work. Last pay I bought, just a basic glasses no extras, were less than $63. If you are not happy with them I believe you can send them back

Walmart
Bjs
Costco

The last time this was discussed there were some recommendations including on line purchases. Warby Parker and Zenni have been mentioned before. I got mine for about $20 all included.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/825277

Visionworks always have BOGO free which is nice if you need separate sunglasses and indoor glasses and they have a huge selection and very large price range.

Local Gal Local Gal
Feb '22

we've been very happy with warby parker -

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '22

I highly recommend Pearle Vision. They are not the cheapest, but I have tried Walmart and other less expensive options over the years, and always had problems. If you want a quality pair that will last for years, go to Pearle Vision. My last pair lasted me over 7 years and the only reason I got new ones was because I wanted a new look/different frames. Will save you money in the long run, imo of course!

Hub stopped at Pearle Vision and asked for the price for progressives - $675 -
Warby Parker - $375 - progressives - perfect - would use them again in a heartbeat -

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '22

I agree with KAT1. I have worn glasses my entire life. Many of the "discount" places don't have or offer the highest quality and most advanced type of lens. For example my prescription could not even be filled at America's Best as well as the popular online shops like Warby Parker. They just don't have what it takes for me. Pearle did. With that said a family member just went to America's Best in Ledgewood recently and was able to get the 2 pair for $69 deal. Obviously a "standard" prescription. I should add I don't spare any expense when it comes to my vision as I tend to use my vision a lot! LOL.

As far as frame style and therefore cost, that is a personal choice. They are ALL made or owned by the same corporation, Luxottica. All of the top name brands included. Also they own the labs that make lenses. This makes the price point a farce as it is truly a monopoly. This includes almost every aspect of the eyewear industry by the way. They are a classic monopoly.

Here is just one quick read on the subject.

https://everydayonlinemarketing.com/marketing-case-study/how-luxottica-monopolized-the-eyewear-industry/

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjS45v0p5T2AhURjsgKHZqHCtQYABAPGgJxdQ&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESWOD2M7wWOnmz8nYI9e8OOe2fSHUXIDHSCf8q1PKy4k6123w0suT2WMJuyu2hyABW7qjMlKrHlJ3xCxQAtYLPTy_K4vowDl281X9MPAoMHLLbviGcOF3hs0o&sig=AOD64_3P2XgolGSv0k-E4IifsvKUFbb0Cw&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiihZH0p5T2AhUKmuAKHaI-DXEQ0Qx6BAgDEAE

Goggles for U! under $20 and can use RX online :)
Terrific this is the ONLY place I buy glasses

For quality + customer service, you can't beat Manhire Opticians. Personal service, and glasses fixed free of charge. Cheap? Nope, but they stand behind everything they sell.

Brenda Brenda
Feb '22

I wish I saw this thread earlier but as of last week I went back to Walmart but I went to bed like this time I went to Pearle vision as much as I wanted to get my glasses at Pearle vision I don't make that kind of money and the price of gas and food I had to make a choice so I went back to Walmart got my new glasses and as long as I can still see the road I don't expect $600 on lenses!

Outdoor Women
Feb '22

Any updates on Pearle Vision or other recommendations for local eye exam?

We are very pleased with Warby Parker - there is now one near Trader Joe on rte 10 - There is an eye doctor connected with their stores- Good prices and excellent service and products

4catmom 4catmom
July 24th

There's a fairly new to the area discount chain - America's Best among The Shops at Ledgewood Commons . They will also have a much closer new store opening soon at Mansfield Commons on 8/2/24 .

https://www.americasbest.com/location/nj/ledgewood/the-shops-at-ledgewood-commons/

https://www.americasbest.com/location/nj/hackettstown/mansfield-commons/

97XBAM 97XBAM
July 24th

goggles4u.com

use code GLASSES28 and get 78% off

America's Best in ledgewood was great had my eye exam very thorough. Picked out my glasses had them in a week. The same Dr I had will be up in the new store in Mansfield after Aug 2nd. Will be in the kohls shopping center. And it's great I can see again. Stay away from vision works in ledgewood or Rockaway rip offs.

Johnny Johnny
July 27th

not the best reviews online for americabest...

4catmom 4catmom
July 27th

As a person who has worn glasses for the last 50 plus years, many of these "discount" eyewear places are not giving you the best product available. We all know the enormous monopoly Luxotica has on the entire eyewear industry. Frame cost is laughable as they should cost much much less but due the monopoly that is not happening. What everyone should be looking at is what lens manufacturer these places use. There are a few different ones and they vary greatly in quality. For example I tried Americas Best for laughs. I always get the absolute best lens a retailer offers. It's my eyesight I don't place a monetary value on it. I want the best possible vision at any cost. The best product AB had I wore for three days and returned. It turns out the lens manufacturer they use was simply just average at best. Other large long established places like Pearle for example use different manufacturers. They offer a little better quality. Many mom and pop places often affiliate with the better lens manufacturers. What I'm stating is the frames are inconsequential (and way over priced). It's the lens and who makes them. As an aside Zeiss is one of the better companies and our very own Vision Associates on 517 uses that lab, as an FYI.

I encourage anyone looking at new eyeglasses to watch this 20 minute video examining the different lens manufacturers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF46-NYKbZA

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: eye glasses
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.